cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.0 VMWare backup

rlbcandw
Level 3
It appears that vcb is still used by netbackup to restore individual files on windows servers.  vranger uses vstorage and accomplishes the same task.

we have the vm’s organized into groups called resource pools.  With vranger, the backup job is directed at the resource pools and it will backup all vm’s with the resource pool.  This means that when we create a new vm and place it in a resource pool, vranger will automatically backup the new vm when the next backup occurs.  Can netbackup leverage the resource pools or will someone have to add servers to the backup job as they come online?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes you can select at the Host level and any Guest added under is automatically added. I know there are some changes comming in the future to the Guest selection (search menu, view) So it might not stay this way for 7.0.1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
VCB is ONLY used with NBU if you are using ESX 3.0 and 3.5.  Go to ESX 3.5 U2 and vSPhere4, you dont have to use VCB, you can use the vStorage API.  VCB support is there for legacy support, as VMware is phasing that out anyways and has no plans to develop it further.

I believe, if you select the physical host in your selection list, or vcenter, it will select all hosts within, even new ones..  This is how it works in BackupExec 2010, dynamic inclusion of new guests.

rlbcandw
Level 3
Thanks I will try it

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes you can select at the Host level and any Guest added under is automatically added. I know there are some changes comming in the future to the Guest selection (search menu, view) So it might not stay this way for 7.0.1.