cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 & vStorage Problem

Jaykullar
Level 5

Hi All,

I've been given a environment which i need to backup VM's.

I have my Master Server, and my Media Server, i use the Media Server as the VM Backup Host. There is a FW inbetween the Master & Media however relevant ports are open, the Virtual Centre Server is also FW'd off from the Master, but is in the same domain/teir as the Media Server. So the Master Server has no access to the VCS.

When adding credentials i am getting the following error: VMware Validation Error: Incorrect host name, cannot connect to Virtual Machine Server.

I have specified to use the Media Server to validate with, but does the Master Server need to have access to the Virtual Centre Server?

Conenctivity from the Media and VC Server's is fine, they are in the same domain, the name i have of the VCS is correct i have checked within VC, and the credentials are also correct.

I cannot see any further issues from the NetBackup side of things, anyone experienced this or have any idea's?

Thanks

Jay

9 REPLIES 9

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
The master server needs to see the client. Configure your networking so that the VCS can reach the master servers network and vice versa.. Be sure to use vnetd for communication.

Jaykullar
Level 5

Thanks Jeff, I will put in a request to get the FW opened up from the VCS to the Master Server bi, going to be a tough one due to security. Im surprised the media server cannot be used for communication, as it is the backup host also and used for validation of credentials. But them in guessing its saying "cannot connect" because the Master's network does not have an entry in DNS for the VCS..hmmm

Is there a specific reason the Master Server needs to speak to VCS? Is there no way around it?

Thanks.

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

No way around it Jay.. The master and client must communicate.. Let me know how it works out once you open up comm!!

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

If you are using any special functionality as Multistreams, Snapshots, Agents (SQL, Exchange), etc. client needs to send metadata to the master, the only way to do it is to install netbackup in to each VM and back them up as regular clients without multistreaming this way the media server can see the clients and pull the data, but if you have the special VM configuration like doing snapshots of the VM's for granular restores and things like that, than the client and master must be able to share metadata across the LAN.

hope this helps.

regards.

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

Regular clients will still need to communicate with the master Omar

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

I have tones of boxes physical and virtual who run only OS or File System backups under  DMZ environment and none of them haves a port open to the master server only to the medias.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Check on the backup flow (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46468) if there is no metadata, only data flows between media and client. at least this have change in NBU 7.1

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

Thanks for the enlightenment Omar.. Good info.. Thanks for sharing

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For VMware backups, only the backup host needs connectivity to vCenter and/or ESX.

See this blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/nuts-and-bolts-netbackup-vmware-transport-methods-and-tcp-ports