cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 - Need Complete Catalog of Backups

mmontoya
Level 2

i have Symantec Netbckup 7.5

i have problems for do restauration of policies type MS-Exchange Server.

not showing me the complete catalog of the backups that have been made.
assigned dates backs but shows the distribution of backups made in the catalog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I understand you correctly, the retention in policy schedule is 2 months but should be Infinite?

If this is the case, you will not be able to restore data from July - those backups expired in September.
Nothing can be done unless you have a duplicate copy on tape that has not been overwritten yet and tape can be inported.
The problem is that you will not know which tape because all catalog info was deleted when images expired.

If you do disk backup and duplicate to tape, best to have Advanced or Dedupe disk.
This will enable you to configure SLPs with different retentions for disk and tape.
Different retentions are not possible with Disk Staging from BasicDisk to tape. Here you need to configure the schedules with the final retention and rely on disk cleanup when high water mark is reached.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mmontoya
Level 2

tnks.

i required help, for realized one restore del type MS-Exchange Server.

No sample catalog backups made
for a restoration
to enter a date range only shows some backups and not the full list.

master, y media backup is OS windows 2008 server, netbackup version es 7.5.0.6

someone who can help me?

Marianne
Level 6

First of all - check retention periods in policy schedules. 
Backup information is only kept in NBU catalogs until retention period expires.

Next, check for multiple hostnames that may have been used in Exchange policy/policies over time.
For example:
If Client name in Policy was originally Exch1 but at some point changed to Exch1.FQDN, then these 2 names will be stored separately in the catalogs.

If you open Windows Explorer on the master server and go to <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\db\images you will see a list of folders for client names.
Do you see more than one name here for Exchange server(s)?
If more than one name was used in policies, try all possible names when searching.

mmontoya
Level 2

Hi  Marianne, gracias por sus comentarios.

sorry but my English is not my forte.

I reviewed the retention and error must be two months, when it should be infinite, it is a historical backing of years.

in this case that I can do to perform the restore, because I have the info on tape, in this case as local disk, since it is a backup of exchange rate Microsoft information store, I want to use to restore mailboxes.

I reviewed the files of the images and if you are the folders that correspond to the server that is required to perform the restoration and if they exist.

files since I started with this server backups is from 2013
I want to make a restoration of July but the listing that shows me it seems that this support was not done.

that I can do to retrieve this information, you can help me?

Gracias.

Tnks.

Marianne
Level 6

If I understand you correctly, the retention in policy schedule is 2 months but should be Infinite?

If this is the case, you will not be able to restore data from July - those backups expired in September.
Nothing can be done unless you have a duplicate copy on tape that has not been overwritten yet and tape can be inported.
The problem is that you will not know which tape because all catalog info was deleted when images expired.

If you do disk backup and duplicate to tape, best to have Advanced or Dedupe disk.
This will enable you to configure SLPs with different retentions for disk and tape.
Different retentions are not possible with Disk Staging from BasicDisk to tape. Here you need to configure the schedules with the final retention and rely on disk cleanup when high water mark is reached.

mmontoya
Level 2

Hola Mananne.

Gracias por su informacion.

Lo que se ha realizado es importar el catalogo de la imagen del respaldo que se tenia, una vez realizado este import, ya se pudo acceder a este respaldo desde el catalogo, para asi poder realizar una resturacion de la informacion que se requiere.

se ha realizado el proceso con soporte de symantec, a lo que se ha visto hasta ahora parece ir todo con exito.

Gracias.

saludos

Marianne
Level 6

Google Translate is not doing a very good job:

Thanks for your information.

What has been done is to import the catalog of the backup image that had once made this import, already availed of this support from the catalog, to thus be able to make a resturacion of the information that is required.

has made the process symantec support to what has been seen so far everything seems to go successfully.

Thank You.

regards

Does this mean that you were able to import the backup image and that the problem is solved? 

Don't forget to double-check your retention levels in policy schedules to ensure they meet business requirements.