Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 can't open ntuser.dat.LOG1 and UsrClass.dat

ulyssesw
Level 2
Partner

Hi there,

I encountered a problem in NetBackup 7.5.03 for backing up the servers for my customer.

There's 22 servers, but only one of the server encountered this issue of can't open Syscache.hve, ntuser.dat.LOG1, UsrClass.dat

I understand that the above files can be excluded but I though these files should be automatically be excluded by NetBackup ?????

FYI, I had enabled Windows Open File Backup and selected VSS SNapshot Provides and selected Abort backup on error. However, I still encountered the above mentioned errors which makes me "scratching my head". Customer is demanding for an reasonable answer....

For example:

client: WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG1 (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

client: WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

Please Help.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Ulyssesw,

I have seen a very similar problem in Win 2008 R2. I wonder if your bpbkar log has something like this:

Backup: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <16> file_access::V_OpenForRead: ERR - CreateFile() 
failed: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat 
(WIN32 3: The system cannot find the path specified)
15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <4> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - tar message received 
from dos_backup::tfs_readopen
15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: WRN - can't open file: 
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat (WIN32 
3:The system cannot find the path specified)

In my case this is a known issue (Etrack ID 2877395) and I believe the fix would be included in 7.5.0.7.

Definitely worth opening a case, and perhaps mention the Etrack ID.

All the best!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This used to happen if your policy was of the type Standard rather than MS-Windows so worth just checking that

A large hive used to also cause similar issues : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101

As they both say that the files are in use it clearly cannot quiesce them - perhaps these clients have that account used to run a service or perhaps that administrator account has more rights than the NetBackup Client Service and so the files cannot be accessed

It may need rights checking or it may need VSS on the clients looking at to see if it has any issues

I have not found any definitive answer, other than it should be able to back those files up

ulyssesw
Level 2
Partner

Hi Mark,

Just an update the OS installed for all the servers are Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

I did a comparison accessibility on these files between the working machines and they are same.

For example, syscache.hve which located in C:\System Volume Information which Built-In Administrator do not have access. The interersting part is that the rest of the 21 servers do not report such error mesg except this particular server.

I'll do a check on the NetBackup Client Services is run by the same user account as the rest of the machine.

Thanks for the response.

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Ulyssesw,

I have seen a very similar problem in Win 2008 R2. I wonder if your bpbkar log has something like this:

Backup: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <16> file_access::V_OpenForRead: ERR - CreateFile() 
failed: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat 
(WIN32 3: The system cannot find the path specified)
15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <4> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - tar message received 
from dos_backup::tfs_readopen
15:56:49.004: [4080.4420] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: WRN - can't open file: 
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat (WIN32 
3:The system cannot find the path specified)

In my case this is a known issue (Etrack ID 2877395) and I believe the fix would be included in 7.5.0.7.

Definitely worth opening a case, and perhaps mention the Etrack ID.

All the best!

ulyssesw
Level 2
Partner

Thanks.

rookie11
   VIP   

Syscache.hve, ntuser.dat.LOG1, UsrClass.dat

why do u want to backup these files. They r not required in system recovery. 

these can be safely excluded

Stumpr2
Level 6

We just did a BMR for a 2008 R2 and could not open windows as it complained about a counterfeit license. Symantec pointed out the cause was that NTUSER.DAT was excluded from the backup image.

AIA
Not applicable
Employee

Yes, that is the solution to the issue. Binaries are available for NBU 7.5.0.3, .05 and .06. Anybody with this problem should log a case and request for the appropriate binary.