cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.7.2 - is there a way to backup AWS EC2 snapshots

Herb_P
Level 3

Does anyone know if there is a way to backup AWS EC2 snapshots with NetBackup? I would like to take a snapshot and then use NetBackup to back it up and then delete the snapshot all within a backup policy (sort of like a VM or NDMP backup which creates a snapshot, runs a backup and then deletes the snapshot).

Thank you,

Herb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Herb_P
Level 3

Nicolai,

I agree with your statement that not all snapshots are alike. My configuration has a media server located in the cloud that uses S3 to store AWS local backups so IP traffic out of the cloud should not be a real issue.

Thank you for your response,

Herb

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If it is not supported by the snapshot client, there is always the possibility to use bpstart_notify script for handling the snapshot/mounting stuff and bpend_notify script for handling the dismounting/deleting stuff.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No native support in Netbackup, but as Michael mentioned, you can do a lot of stuff using script and command line.

Basically, you can backup anything using bpbackup command if you can access the files.

Herb_P
Level 3

Thank you both for your feedback. I am aware of using OS commands to run backups. I was hoping that there was a more inclusive way within NetBackup to perform this work (i.e. like NDMP performs a snapshot, does the backup and then removes the snapshot; and VM client backups do the same thing). I guess that cloud integration within NetBackup is still in its early stages.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There are snapshot and there are snapshots !

Beloved child has many names, not all  snapshots are directly interchangeable. But yes you are right, by time maybe. Just remember IP traffic out of the clod has a price tag.

Herb_P
Level 3

Nicolai,

I agree with your statement that not all snapshots are alike. My configuration has a media server located in the cloud that uses S3 to store AWS local backups so IP traffic out of the cloud should not be a real issue.

Thank you for your response,

Herb