Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Accelerator with DataDomain

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Need some help on accelerator with data domain as a backup destination.

We are planing for NetBackup 7.5 upgrade with FETB license. Can someone please let me know "Is there any dependancy for using "Accelerator" with DataDomain" ?

Do we need de-duplication license to use Accelerator?

I came to know that it will not work if you have DataDomain as a Backup Destination device.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

NetBackup Accelerator is an OpenStroage feature. OpenStorage partners need to update their plugins to support the new APIs made available by Symantec and get the plugin qualified for Accelerator. Note that Optimized Synthetic backup (a feature released since NetBackup 6.5.4) and NetBackup Accelerator (a feature released with NetBackup 7.5) are two different qualifications. 

Partners are developing these plugins so that they get competitive advantage over devices without OpenStorage support. Further, the more OpenStorage features a partner support (e.g. Optimized duplication, Optimized Synthesis, Auto Image Replication, NetBackup Accelerator etc.), the better competitive advantage they get over others with lesser number of OpenStorage features. Hence Symantec offers NDA to partners so that their development and release plans for the plugins are protected until they formally make their announcement.

Thus, Symantec cannot share anything related to where a particular partner is in terms of supporting a specific OpenStorage feature. We encourage customers to contact respective partners for their backend device. Hope this helps to understand why we cannot speak for the upcoming features in partner OST plugins! 

I can talk about what is already released by partners. Data Domain currently supports Optimized Synthetic Backups. Their plugin is does not support for NetBackup Accelerator. I would recommend talking to EMC if you need the latest info in support for NetBackup Accelerator. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We were told by a NetBackup Product manager that the feature is not 'yet' supported by Data Domain.

Another PM told us last week that NBU and DD developers are 'in the process' of working on a solution.

We were asked to put pressure on EMC:

What you will need to do is ask EMC when they will support optimized synthetic backup and NetBackup Accelerator because they don’t support it today.

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Marianne is right.

Today, Backup accelerator is only supported with MSDP (Internal Netbackup Deduplication, or Symantec Deduplication Appliances).

Some advanced functionnalities like Optimized Synthetic Backup are supported by appliances (Quantum DXi) but not yet with EMC DD.

French Symantec people said me that source deduplication in Netbackup (consequently Backup Accelerator) will not be opened to appliances of other contructors. May be they will (have) change.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Correct, it is also support with backups to Cloud storage as well.

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I agree.

It is supported because cloud storage is "simple not local disk" and deduplication is made by Netbackup himself, like MSDP.

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

I am not using any native NBU de-duplication.

If i have purchased license for Accelerator, Should I be able to backup data to LOCAL DISK ?

Can you share some documents where its says that "Accelerator is not supported if your backup destination is DataDomain"

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See the following in NetBackup Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5157 :

Accelerator notes and requirements
Note the following about Accelerator in NetBackup 7.5:
■ NetBackup Accelerator requires the Data Protection Optimization Option
license. For the latest information on licensing, contact your Symantec sales
or partner representative.
■ Supports the disk storage units only. Supported storage unit types are PureDisk
(MSDP, PureDisk, appliance), cloud storage, and qualified third-party OST
storage. The NetBackup device mapping files list all supported storage types.

NetBackup 7.x Hardware Compatibility List (HCL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495
contains details of features and functionality for all supported NBU and OST manufacturers.

PhaniKumar82
Level 5
Partner

What Is the dependency between Acceleraor and DD storage unit ?

can you explain ?

Regards,

Phani Kumar

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Because Acceleration depends of the Deduplication Engine I think at this point only MSDP or NBU Appliances support this feature, just check the presentation I think is a cool idea more for those cases when we have millions of small files.

http://www.symantec.com/tv/products/details.jsp?vid=1483761382001

Regards.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

NetBackup Accelerator is an OpenStroage feature. OpenStorage partners need to update their plugins to support the new APIs made available by Symantec and get the plugin qualified for Accelerator. Note that Optimized Synthetic backup (a feature released since NetBackup 6.5.4) and NetBackup Accelerator (a feature released with NetBackup 7.5) are two different qualifications. 

Partners are developing these plugins so that they get competitive advantage over devices without OpenStorage support. Further, the more OpenStorage features a partner support (e.g. Optimized duplication, Optimized Synthesis, Auto Image Replication, NetBackup Accelerator etc.), the better competitive advantage they get over others with lesser number of OpenStorage features. Hence Symantec offers NDA to partners so that their development and release plans for the plugins are protected until they formally make their announcement.

Thus, Symantec cannot share anything related to where a particular partner is in terms of supporting a specific OpenStorage feature. We encourage customers to contact respective partners for their backend device. Hope this helps to understand why we cannot speak for the upcoming features in partner OST plugins! 

I can talk about what is already released by partners. Data Domain currently supports Optimized Synthetic Backups. Their plugin is does not support for NetBackup Accelerator. I would recommend talking to EMC if you need the latest info in support for NetBackup Accelerator. 

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

See the comments in this blog  This will help you in case you are waiting for an OST partner to support NetBackup Accelerator.