cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Disaster Recovery

Charles_Roth
Level 2

Hello,

We are trying to recover our NetBackup catalog at our DR site which does not have the same number of media server or tape drives as we have in production.  We are running NetBackup 6.0Mp6.  After the catalog recovery at our DR site, Netbackup seems to hang often looking for the missing devices / media servers.  I know in NetBackup 5.x, the procedure was to install netbackup in DR, configure the DR tape drives, make a backup of the ltidevs, globDB , storage_units and robotic_defs files on the DR master server, restore the catalog, and then replace the ltidevs, globDB , storage_units and robotic_defs files with the backup copy just made.  It seems these files no longer exist in NetBackup 6.x.  Does anyone know what the procedure is in 6.x to take in account for environment differences between production and DR environments?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Yes, process is very different for NBU 6.x because all media manager related DBs are now under EMM db, which is running under ASA db. Download this guide and read the chapter Disaster Recovery, which explains the process very well.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For true DR, you should recover to an identicle environmrent.  However, I appreciate tis isn't always possible.

Personally, you could just delete the drives that don't exsist, or just blow the lot away and re-run the device config wizard.  Regarding the missng media servers I would just deactivate them (vmoprcmd -deactive_host if I remember correctly).

Martin 

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

1).  You delete all the devices from NetBackup.  If the GUI misbehaves, you can use the VMGLOB command.  First use VMGLOB -Listall to get a device list.

2)  Create a command file with 1 entry per device in this format:

vmglob -delete -drive -drvtype "DriveType" -serial "SerialNumber" -name "DeviceName" -devhost "HostName"

This will remove the devices from Device Manager so you can perform a device discovery.

3)  For missing media servers, go to the properties of the Master Server and there is a section called "Restore Failover".  For a Media Server which is missing, it assigns another Media or Master/Media to access those tapes.

Message Edited by Ron Cohn on 08-15-2008 09:52 PM