cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup MSDP Issue

peterblue
Level 3

I am trying to set up an MSDP pool for NDMP accelerator.

I have created a 2Tb NetApp share, and exported via NFS to 2 Media Servers.

I have tried using a local account that exists, I have tried creating a new local account, and even tried the root account (again local), but no matter what I choose - whether local user, or even an AD account, it says when performing tasks - Login Credentials verification failed for server - one or more invalid arguments (2060001).

Firstly, does MSDP work on NFS ? Or is it CIFS only ?.

Secondly - where should the credentials used for authentication be kept, and are there any restrictions around names, or password length, and complexity ?.

Is a 2Tb export/share allowed ?. What size should it be. We have approximately 60Tb of NDMP data we backed up on a FULL backup.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Direct attached, SAN or CIFS only. 

PLEASE read carefully through requirements in NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

I do not recommend having NDMP as backup source and MSDP destination.

Speak to your local reseller to assist with sizing of MSDP pool - 2 TB is most definitely not enough to backup 60TB NDMP data.... 

Thanks Marianne.

The 2Tb was just a test to get the thing up and running to see if it worked. Once it worked, then I was going to roll out 25Tb.

What would be the best destination ? as I am trying to get NDMP Accelerated backups to work, and was told that MSDP was the only option. 

Marianne
Level 6

MSDP (including NetBackup Appliances) as well as a bunch of 3rd-party dedupe appliances support Accelerator for NDMP. Search the NBU8 HCL for Accel_NDMP. 

Please go through the Dedupe Guide and read through the requirements. You need to ensure that the Storage ingest rate meets requirements. 
Can you guarantee throughput if the backup source and MSDP storage destination is on the same filer?

Marianne
Level 6

PS: 

PLEASE always mention NBU version as supported options change across versions...