cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup & Open File option?

Jeff_Talamini
Level 3
We had a server (serverA) with Windows 2003 server running BackupExec 10.1 with a local tape drive and the open file agent. After the tape drive failed on that server I moved the backup to our NetBackup 6.0 MP7 server running Windows 2003. The backups are working, partially, as it's skipping  some open files used by one of the primary applications on serverA. The error I'm receiving is:

Warning bpbrm(pid=3716) from client serverA: WRN - can't open file: path of open file and file name (Win32: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)

Am I missing an open file option in NetBackup?
Thanks for any help.

Jeff
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jacob
Level 4
It is quite a common error.

Have the backup client in question been rebooted since you installed NetBackup? You will need to reboot to enable VSP (Open file manager).

As it is a win2003 client you might want to use VSS instead or VSP during backup (properties on master server, client attributes, select the client and look in the open files tab).

If the file still can't be backup'ed you might want to figure out if it an important file if you need to restore at some point.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jeff_Talamini
Level 3
If it makes any difference our NetBackup server is 6.0 MP7 Enterprise edition

Jeff_Talamini
Level 3

Jacob
Level 4
It is quite a common error.

Have the backup client in question been rebooted since you installed NetBackup? You will need to reboot to enable VSP (Open file manager).

As it is a win2003 client you might want to use VSS instead or VSP during backup (properties on master server, client attributes, select the client and look in the open files tab).

If the file still can't be backup'ed you might want to figure out if it an important file if you need to restore at some point.

Jeff_Talamini
Level 3

Jacob,

Thank you for the response. The server has not been restarted since the install of the client. I will do that this evening and post the results of the scheduled backup after the restart.

thank you again,

Jeff

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Just keep in mind that some files you will just not be able to get.
Even with open file turned on it still needs to find an idle time to get it.

archive.pst's is one of them that never goes idle - so if someone is still logged on when my backup runs I do not get the file and I get the message that it was busy.

Jeff_Talamini
Level 3
Restarting the client worked and last night's backup succeded with no errors (open files).
Thank you,

Jeff