cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.3 disk staging

Giroevolver
Level 6
Hi All,

Just a quick question about disk staging that I need clearing up and I'm sure someone will know the answer.

I have a 1TB drive attached to the media server for disk staging and the idea is to backup the data on the staging unit to tape in the morning after the backups to disk have finished. The backups are about 800GB so the next evening the disk staging area will clear down the backups and start again. Now what I want to know is will the catalog know the data is on the tape and not on the staging area anymore?

I did a test with one server and the catalog thinks the data is only on disk and not tape also. Is this because the disk data has not been cleared yet and the data is still on disk?

Thanks

Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
go to catalog and look for Copy #2 of your backup. If backup is still on disk - it's primary copy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jacob
Level 4
You don't have to manually clear the diskstaging area I even think that could lead to some problems, you have to use bpexpire to delete images manual.

NetBackup will not delete backup images on disk before it have to and it will not deleted images which haven't been duplicated yet. It will seem like your disk is always full but NetBackup know which images it can overwrite on disk and which images it can't. Having backup images on disk also make restores a bit faster.

Hope that answer your question.

Giroevolver
Level 6
I dont clear the images down manually but the high water mark will have been reached and therefore like you said Netbackup will know it can overwrite them.

I want to know if once I have an image that has been duplicated why does it not show in the catalog as on tape and disk.

I am assuming that once the image is overwritten on disk the catalog will update to show the image on tape?!?

HHHEEELLLLPPPPP!!!

Thanks

Mark

Jacob
Level 4
bpimagelist -backupid <backup ID>  | grep IMAGE

colum 21 is number of copies of the backup image (you might want to read more about bpimagelist)

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
go to catalog and look for Copy #2 of your backup. If backup is still on disk - it's primary copy.