Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup + SL8500

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
Hello,

sorry for my English. I need help.

I have NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on Windows 2003 R2, Library SL8500 (T10000A drives), ACSLS 7.1 on Solaris, Libatach 1.4.1 installed on windows.

This configuration don`t work.

robtest.exe work good with acsls.

Then i add robot in NetBackup, i can`t inventory library. And service "Device Manager" don`t work.

And NB drivers for T10000A don`t work too.

Do you have any idea? Could i make additional configuration?
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
Does the Solaris server allow rhost connectivity from the windows server?

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
I can`t say now, because i din`t configured ACSLS.
But i think yes, because LibAtach connect to ACSLS, and robtest work good.
Right?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
so robtest works on the solaris box. Can you see the drives and robot when you run scan?
Can you communicat with the Windows box with bpclntcmd -hn or bpclncmd -ip ?

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
Robtest work on Windows. I see drives in Device Manager.
>>>Can you communicat with the Windows box with bpclntcmd -hn or bpclncmd -ip ?
Sorry, but i don`t understand. Where i must run this command?

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
And drives attached by two paths. And then i see drives in Device Manager i see in two time more drives :( And drives with exclamation mark.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
You are seeing the drives twice because of the two different paths. I do not work a lot with Sans. Can you run robtest on the Solaris box and see the robot and drives? run the above commands on the solaris box to see if you can see the Windows master server.

here is some SAN info from previous posts
How to restart a SAN attached Library.

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4453743

Startup in a SAN is a bit different then a NON SAN attached enviroment.

1 Check that all servers are off
2 Bring Tape library up first
3 Fibre Scsi router next if you have one, sometimes these blades are incorperated into the tape libr
ary.
4 Start Maser Server check hardware (tape Drives and HBA interfaces)
5 Start Media Servers

Check to see if the windows servers have any hidden devices that may be causing issues. Several even
ts can occur that contribute to the addition of ghost devices in the Windows 2000 Device Manager. So
me of these include adding or removing hardware, changes to tape drives or tape libraries, or failur
e to use persistent binding, static indexing, or hard AL_Pa's on storage area network (SAN) equipmen
t which can allow changes to SCSI device path presentation of a device to the operating system. Thes
e ghost devices can retain Port, SCSI, Target, and logical unit number (LUN) information and conflic
t with the active devices being used by Windows 2000. Under these circumstances, hardware instabilit
y can result as well as other undesirable device operations.
Running the device discovery wizard, for example, may list 20 tape drives when only 10 tape drives p
hysically exist. This information is being pulled from the operating system and can incorrectly asso
ciate tape device information with the VERITAS NetBackup (tm) hardware configuration.
You may also experience tape device drivers "disappear" or roll back to the previous drivers after a
NetBackup tape device driver update. In this scenario, the drivers were actually applied to the gho
st device and upon reboot, the active devices loaded the previous driver information.

Hope that helps. I can probably help a bit more with the Solaris machine if you have questions.

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
I haven`t Solaris Media Server. And I can`r run this commands. Solaris machine is ACSLS. I have only Veritas Cluster Server on Windows 2003 with two nodes. On which installed Media./Master server in configuration active/passive.

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Anatoly,

For the T10000A drives, download the drivers from the StorageTek website. Do not use Veritas ones.

You should create separate zones on your SAN to include:

1st cluster-node + silo + all drives
2nd cluster-node + silo + all drives
ACSLS server + silo + all drives

After creating the zones, reboot your Windows servers so that they now do not see multiple versions of the same drives. If you have multiple HBA cards in the same server, you might also need to ensure software that stops the devices reporting twice (such as HP SecurePath) is installed.

Your NetBackup servers are talking to the ACSLS Solaris server properly. This is proven as robtest is issuing commands to the ACSLS server that is then converting them into acsls commands.

So, make sure your robot configuration is correct in NetBackup. Control should be by another host - the hostname of your ACSLS server needs to be entered into your robot configuration.

After all configuration changes, make sure you restart your NetBackup services - use bpdown.exe, followed by bpup.exe.