cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup disk image Import from a legacy NBU master

CadenL
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have the following requirement that I'm hoping I can achieve using the following approach.

We have a legacy UNIX NetBackup 7.5 master server with a locally attached tape library and a some tapes (<100) that I need to import some of the images into a new NBU 8 environment. There is only a subset of images on these tapes that I need to import into the new environment.

The new NBU 8 environment has no tape devices and it's not possible to connect any devices.

So an overview of what I'm hoping to do is as below:

1. Configure an NFS share onto the old master server to give me a disk storage unit and duplicate the images i need from tape to the NFS share.

2. Once complete I detach the NFS share from the legacy master server and attach it to the new master server - this is running RedHat Linux and NBU 8.1.

3. I import the disk images from the NFS share into the new master server catalog

4. I duplicate these images to the MSDP pool so I can detach the NFS share from the new master server.

Firstly does that sound technically possible as an approach?

Secondly - if possible can anyine help with a command line that will allow me to search through the legacy catalog for images from defined policies and particular schedules within those policies. for example: I only want to duplicate the Monthly full backups from a small number of policies - so a command where I define the policy name and schedule name an it returns the backup id that I can then use in a bpduplicate command to duplicate the image from tape to the NFS share.

many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The plan definitely look durable. I recommend using the basic disk storage unit for that task, it simple and straight ahed to use.

Regarding querying the catalog, bpimagelist is your friend, e.g. to find all backup for clientx.acme.com since 2000, member of policy Window with monthly backups you would do:

bpimagelist -d 01/01/2000 -client clientx.acme.com -policy WINDOWS_HOSTS -sl monthly_full 

You of cause need to replace client names, and policy names and schedule names  according to yore environment. Please remember host and host.acme.com are different in Netbackup.

USAGE: bpimagelist [-media] [-l|-L|-U|-idonly] [-tape]
[-d mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS] [-e mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS] [-hoursago hours]
[-keyword "keyword phrase"]
[-client client_name] [-server server_name]
[-backupid backup_id] [ [-option option_name] ... ]
[-policy policy_name] [-pt policy_type]
[-rl retention_level]
[-sl sched_label] [-st sched_type]
[-class_id data_classification_id_guid] [-stl_complete]
[-stl_incomplete] [-stl_name storage_service_name]
[-M master_server...] [-v] [-inter-domain]
[-force] [-list_dependents] [-list_parents]
[-list_all_dependents] [-list_all_parents]
[-oracle_copilot_ir]
bpimagelist -changelog [-L|-json|-json_compact] [-json_array] [-min_changelog_key key]
[-d mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS] [-e mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS]
[-new_images] [-updated_images] [-deleted_images]

A full description of all the output fields from bpimagelist can be found at: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH5584 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai. 
The process will probably be time consuming, but will work.

Once you have duplicated on new master to MSDP, remember to expire the basic disk copies before you remove the NFS mount.