cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for MySQL – Database-aware backup of MySQL databases

IonutP
Level 4

After millions of years NetBackup has decided to fully support backups for MySQL and stop using 3th party tools ... but where is the documentation for this?

I’m curious to see if it’s something automated or again it's "back-to-basics" and it involves modifying several scripts that will eventually trigger mysqldump.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000127661 - all documentation for 8.1 but nothing on MySQL.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

This feature has not yet gone generally available (even though it is in the release notes).  Expect it within the next 30-45 days, and at that time the docs will be released for it.  The functionality for MySQL is being provided via the XBSA framework, as is Postgres and MariaDB, which will be released after the MySQL functionality.

And I don't think MySQL has really been out for millions of years.  :)

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

This feature has not yet gone generally available (even though it is in the release notes).  Expect it within the next 30-45 days, and at that time the docs will be released for it.  The functionality for MySQL is being provided via the XBSA framework, as is Postgres and MariaDB, which will be released after the MySQL functionality.

And I don't think MySQL has really been out for millions of years.  :)

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the update regarding this.  I am assuming this is in 8.1, and an update for this will be released?

The reason I ask is I had a case open just yesterday (Case Number: 22352275 - Query regarding MySQL support) for this.  I was aware previously that MSQL was not supported by NetBackup, and that third-party agents from Zmanda were needed for hot backups.  That was exactly the response I got from support with no mention that there was an update coming that will provide support.

Steve 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I used the 'Feedback' button in the DB SCL that was updated for 8.1. my query was about the 8.1 GA Announcement:

• NetBackup for Open Source RDBMS workloads: Six out of ten RDBMS applications today are open source because they reduce cost and offer flexibility. NetBackup 8.1 delivers agent based, but release independent, support for Open Source RDBMS workloads like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, SQLite, and more.

This was the reply: 

Hello Marianne,

The SCL will be updated once the new DBs have officially released. 

Starting with NetBackup 8.1, we have introduced a new model where many of our new DB workloads are not dependent on the mainline release of NetBackup.  This is a new framework that is now in NetBackup 8.1.  Plugins for select workloads will then be available as soon as they’re ready for release, without having to wait for a new major/minor release of NetBackup.

MySQL has not yet released.  It will be available very shortly however as we are planning to release mid Oct.

So for the moment there is no support and whatever will be in the "near future" will be trough another plugin.

@edit - 3 weeks later

Famous plugin is here more or less as a .conf file that needs to be edited and an executable.

@edit - a little later after tests

Just no.