cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup vStorage API backup vs Windows Dynamic Disks

Rockey_Wen
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anything about NetBackup using vStorage API backup virtual machines with windows dynamic disks?

For the legacy reasons, some of those virtual machines in the production environment have windows dynamic disks.  All the VMs are on vSphere ESX 4.1 and vCenter 4.1.

All the virtual machine are using vmdk on VMFS volume, no RDM volumes. However, when they were created, some of them have volumes with single dynamic hard disk, some have volumes with two dynamic disks mirrored, and some have volumes with several dynamic disks in RAID 5.

In this scenario, can I still using NetBackup to back them up via vStorage API?

Regards,

Rockey Wen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Rocky,

Sorry, can't give you an official answer. I can say that I've not seen any mention about the layout of the disks in a VM guest being an issue.

If you have a Enterprise Client License in your environment already you have all the tools to test it. Have a look at the NetBackup VMware guide, you'll need to add the vCenter, provide the credentials, designate a "backup host" that will contact vCenter (any windows master/media) and then create the flashbackup windows policy.

You don't need any infrastructure changes as such. Just need a netbackup windows server (can be virtual) and the access can be across the LAN for the test.

Hope that helps

R

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Rocky,

Did you receive any errors, or have you not tried to back them up yet? I can't see why it would make a difference what the underlying layout of the disks are in the guest. NetBackup backs up the container (vmfs) and maps the files with the flashbackup technology.

From a setup point of view you just give access to the Vcenter and NetBackup connects to the datastore either trough SAN or LAN. It backs up snapshots (of the vmfs file systems) created by vCenter.

Thats my thoughts on it, give it a try.

Rockey_Wen
Level 4

Current, we still back them up in traditional way, and we're looking forward to use vStorage API to back up.

But before we make the infrastructure changes, we'd like to know whether it's officially supported by Symantec.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Rocky,

Sorry, can't give you an official answer. I can say that I've not seen any mention about the layout of the disks in a VM guest being an issue.

If you have a Enterprise Client License in your environment already you have all the tools to test it. Have a look at the NetBackup VMware guide, you'll need to add the vCenter, provide the credentials, designate a "backup host" that will contact vCenter (any windows master/media) and then create the flashbackup windows policy.

You don't need any infrastructure changes as such. Just need a netbackup windows server (can be virtual) and the access can be across the LAN for the test.

Hope that helps

R

Jim-90
Level 6

ESX 4.1 can only be backed by NBU 7.0.1

Read the release notes towards the end there is a lot info about VMware I would adivse you to go through it thoroughly.   From what I can see RDMs are the only problem