Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.2 Patch problem

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

Anyone had problems patching 6.5.2 on a W2K installastion?
What I see is that when installing the patch the installer reports "terminate all backup prosesses antd try again" even if al prosesses is terminated... I have this problem on more than one W2k server..

Message Edited by Kenneth Hansen on 06-09-2008 03:57 AM
32 REPLIES 32

ChrisWible
Level 2
We had this issue and it turned out that the console was running the winlogon screen saver or another screen saver that was utilizing performance monitor, and performance monitor was locking files that belonged to Symantec processes.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thank's for you feedback Chris,
I'am trying to install the patch thru RDP not using /console option, perhaps i should try that.
What is causing a bit of consern is that al my servers is installed or managed trhu RDP, i dont have access to "local" server console because of graphical location.. And the patch will install whitout problems on 20 mediaservers, and only 3 have this problem. On 2 of the servers patch 6.5.1 did'nt want to install eather. On the last one patch 6.5.1 installed correctly, but 6.5.2 donsn't..

But I'll have a look at it..

ChrisWible
Level 2
Actually I was trying to let you know that it is the actual physical console session on your Server that is running the screen saver causing the problem, not something you are logging into.  I had to set my console screen saver to none, to free up the files in use.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner

Encrypted
Level 3
Partner

Kenneth Hansen wrote:
Why does that link have a login dialog?  Smiley Mad

David_Affinito
Level 2
Accredited Certified

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Ups, sorry about that.
Thank's for fixing the link Eeto.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Just updated my Netbackup to 6.5.2 and now backups do not kick off. I have tried a restored and it works fine. I have tried to schedule a backup and it does not run. Even manual backup does not run. Please help. Master server is Windows 2003 and so are the clients.

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
I had the same issue with 6.5.1. Blew my head of until I found out the solution myself. Send the issue to Symantec. Seems my work payed off ;)

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
So, what was the soultion?

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
did you try a rollbackup? did symantec issue you with a patch? Please help.

DAB
Level 3
I have the same issue, I must bpdown and bpup every morning.  I have a case open with Symantec and have sent numerous logs, so hopefully we will find a resolution.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
I had to do a rollback to 6.5.1. I have a case opened with Symantec and I have also send thru a ton of logs.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

My thread only resolved the problem not beeing able to patch the 6.5.2 patch at all.
Any other problems regarding the patch you should open a new thread.

Tom_Dooley
Level 4
Hello all,

Related to the update to version 6.5.2, we have this issue:

Updated to the version 6.5.2, we have rebooted the master server which is a Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2.
After the reboot the backup jobs were not starting :(.
First tried a manual backup and the jobs did not appear. After approx 2 hours in the Activity Monitor the manual jobs were started and accomplished without errors.
Second we have looked to the scheduled jobs and they also were started after 2 hours.
So the jobs were started with delays.
Third and this is very strange "MAGIK" all the scheduled jobs after 00:00 o`clock started with no problems.
Since then no problems (weird); manuals,scheduled all ok.
We needed to reboot once again last week the master server and the same behavior appeared.
We think that this issue is related with the reboot maybe also is to the bpdown and bpup of the services.

A CASE was opened to Symantec and the technician told that the issue must be related to the changes to nbpem (Netbackup Policy Execution Manager).

@Gerald Wanjohi Gitau  I`m really curious what solution you will find to your problem, because it appears that our issues are in some way almost the same.

Thanks.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Symantec will release another patch 6.5.2a this Friday 27th June but will only be available to public on Monday 30th June. It will hopefully fix all the problems currently experienced.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Question......
are all of these probelms with Windows master/meda?

I have a unix media that I just upgraded to 6.5.2 yesterday ( have not done the clients yet)
and I had NO problems with my backup last night.

So I am trying to see if I will need the 2a or not... as it seems the problems listed with 6.5.2 are mostly Windows masters.

anybody with a Unix master have issues with 6.5.2 upgrade?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

J.Hinchcliffe wrote:

anybody with a Unix master have issues with 6.5.2 upgrade?

Something I'd be interested in too. There are some things that 6.5.2 attends to which means we would like this installing, but with 'all' the apparent issues out there ... Smiley Sad

Selwyn_Schultz
Level 3
I am looking at installing the 6.5.2 patch as well.  I installed it in our test environment and it seems to be working just fine.  Backups run both manually and scheduled.  Our master server is running Solaris 10 in the lab, and our production servers are all running either Solaris or HP-UX.  Has anyone run into a problem running this patch set with a Unix server?