Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 questions

varunprakash
Level 5
Hi,

I have following questions with me.

1) To enable check point restart for a policy, is it enough to select the check point restart (and Mention the time)or we need to do anything else?
2) What will happen when both multiplexing and multistreaming are enabled in a policy?
3)While taking windows backup, if snapshot error occured means what we have to do to troubleshoot it? (Except increasing catche size)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1) Correct. Nothing else. Only available on MS-Windows-NT and Standard policy types.

2) you will see more than one stream from the same client going to one tape drive. This works well when read speed from client disk does not match write speed of tape drive.
Consider the following:
3 Drive letters on Windows Client - C-drive can only read @ 5Mb/sec, D and E-drive @ 40Mb/sec.
If client is on Gig network (and enough memory and cpu), it will be able to push 85Mb/sec over the network to the media server. With multiplexing and multistreaming, all 3 streams can be written to a single LTO3 tape drive that can write more than 100Mb/sec.
If multistreaming is enabled but mpx in schedule is set to 1, each stream will go to a separate drive.

3) Create bpfis log on client. You can also select 'Disable snapshot and continue' - this will make your job end with Status 1. Run Problem Report for this client to see which files were skipped and why. Problem is mostly with database files that should be backed up cold or using database agent.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

1) Correct. Nothing else. Only available on MS-Windows-NT and Standard policy types.

2) you will see more than one stream from the same client going to one tape drive. This works well when read speed from client disk does not match write speed of tape drive.
Consider the following:
3 Drive letters on Windows Client - C-drive can only read @ 5Mb/sec, D and E-drive @ 40Mb/sec.
If client is on Gig network (and enough memory and cpu), it will be able to push 85Mb/sec over the network to the media server. With multiplexing and multistreaming, all 3 streams can be written to a single LTO3 tape drive that can write more than 100Mb/sec.
If multistreaming is enabled but mpx in schedule is set to 1, each stream will go to a separate drive.

3) Create bpfis log on client. You can also select 'Disable snapshot and continue' - this will make your job end with Status 1. Run Problem Report for this client to see which files were skipped and why. Problem is mostly with database files that should be backed up cold or using database agent.

varunprakash
Level 5
Thanks Marianne..can u let me know how to delete the snapshot from the drive (C: or D:) if it is not deleted automatically.

And also tell me is there any option (settings) )in netbackup to delete the sanpshot?

Marianne
Level 6

NBU always tries to delete cache files. If there is something else on the system that's locking the cache file (e.g. anti-virus software), the deletion fails, leaving cache files behind.

Here's a TechNote on how to troubleshoot:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283377.htm

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Check my Article on this, it contains how to migrate from VSP to VSS and how to remove the Snapshots created by VSP.

www.symantec.com/connect/articles/low-disk-space