cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 Windows 2008 x64 system (C: drive and System State) backup is very slow and always partially completed

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

Netbackup 7.0 Windows 2008 x64 system (C: drive and System State) backup is very slow and always partially completed.

After upgrading from 6.5 all my Windows 2008 x64 SP2 (some of them are R2) servers are being backed up extremely slow (< 100 KB/s).

All these servers are actually cluster nodes and, in contrast to this, their clustered services' drives are backed up normal at good speeds (> 50,000 KB/s).

Additionally, these system drive backups always get completed partially successful with many warnings like:

25/11/2010 18:34:54 - Warning bpbrm(pid=6856) from client xxxxx: WRN - can't open directory: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Documents\My Pictures (WIN32 87: Unknown error)

Any ideas or known workarounds?

Thanks

Z

17 REPLIES 17

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

check in your master server host properties for those clients, to confirm what snapshot method is specified

do you see VSS is used?

and you upgraded both NBU master and NBU client from 6.5 to 7.0 ... right?

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

VSS is being used.

And yes, all NBU peers are Version 7.0.

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

And, for test, I have downgraded some of these clients back to 6.5 and the backups speed up to normal rates. Partial success remained though.

Then I moved them back to 7.0 and the backups slowed down again.

It is obviously something in the 7.0.

jyo
Level 2

You can consolidate the data from the path you are getting the warnings and exclude them from backup after confirming with user.

In my environment we faced similar issue with log files and excluded them to get backups successfull.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Warning bpbrm(pid=6856) from client xxxxx: WRN - can't open directory: 

The below may help you may be some access/permission issue

What i feel that just for checking at Netbackup Client site add the domain administrator account under the Netbackup Client Service -> logon account -> Logon as session.

(see the snap below for your reference)

Try this

Mohamed_Hamed_-
Level 3
Partner Accredited

do you check the HCL for NBU 7 for your servers cauing this problem?

Zahid_Haseeb

enable the bpbrm logs for more details

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

The servers are supported Dell rack-servers, HBAa are qlogic, NICs Intel, disk EMC CX4, and tapes STK SL500.

So all should be perfectly certified.

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

have tried this and got the same result as when LocalSystem was used.

so it didn't help.

Mohamed_Hamed_-
Level 3
Partner Accredited

could you please attache your windows logs (system - Application) and the logs of the NBU jobs

Zahid_Haseeb

any update ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

EEB available from Symantec Support:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140077

"If this issue is experienced while running NetBackup 7.0 or 7.0.1, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and Etrack 2085561 to obtain an EEB replacement bundle for affected clients."

Zahid_Haseeb

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

Hello Marianne,

Thanks for your inputs. I will do as you suggest here and come back to the thread with updates on how it went.

Regards,

Zvonimir

Zvonimir
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Zahid,

I was on other projects and could't handle this for a while.

I should be in position to enable logging and get the logs early next week and will share them here.

Rgds

Zvonimir

daviddampf
Level 2

Zvonimir,

I am having a similar issue with my backup speeds for some Win2008 x64 clients with the backups for C and System State running extremely slow.

Were you able to resolve your backup speeds issue yet?  If so, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks,

David Dampf

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Possible reasons for slow backups:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145791

The first is related to the Windows 2008 R2 kernel. Under heavy I/O the kernel may not perform as expected. The cause of this issue is documented in Microsoft KB article 982383.....

A second known cause of Netbackup 7 performance problems is related to the Power Options settings in Windows....

A third known cause of Netbackup 7 performance problems is related to the TCP Chimney Offload and Receive Side Scaling (RSS) settings of the network interface....