Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.1 - client deduplication performance with seeding

jpajula
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I'm backing up servers over WAN-links with following procedure:

1. Create seeding to dedup from previous backup system (FastBack) by mounting image on server and backing it up to media server dedup.
  2. Change parameter FP_CACHE_CLIENT_POLICY in pd.conf file to point client and policy used in first phase
  3. Take full backup from server using client deduplication

I have also increased FP_CACHE_MAX_MBSIZE, FP_CACHE_MAX_COUNT values.

And the problem is, when backup starts I can see >100MBps backup-speed in backup job (over 100Mbits line) and very small traffic on Windows server (2008 R2) for nbostproxy process (<100kBps). However, this speed decreases into 4MBps after ~15GB has been backed up. We have traffic limit that only 1MBps is allowed to use for backup traffic and nbostproxy sends data 1MBps.

Is there still some parameters on media server or on client, that I can use for this? It looks like the FP_CACHE is not working efficiently on client and cache might is full and not cleaned to reclaim space for new fingerprints.

-Jani-

1 REPLY 1

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

There are some parameters that maybe could help you, check this technote is for direct client backups but still is a good tuning for WAN's with long distance.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163848