cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 cost Per TB?

rbkguy
Level 4

We are waiting to get an idea of the cost from symantec to pay per TB for netbackup. We are currently have one master\media server and about 100 servers. Over the next couple of months we will be adding 7 remote servers alone with 12 enterprise clients for exchange and hyper-v servers. I am wondering if anyone else has looked into this? We currently have about 10 TB or front end data that we backup and would like to know if the pay for TB is going to be any cheaper in the long run? Does anyone have a ball park number they can throw out there?

On a side note I understand that the De-dup will be an extra cost per TB but that is a feature we are not under taking at this time but will look at it once we have our remote servers setup with a media server.

6 REPLIES 6

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

It depends on your engagement with Symantec or Partner. There is no official info that next TB should be for example 20% cheaper.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

As far As I know, Symantec offer both and suggest to use TB pricing because it is simpler for everyone because, you just have to take care of TB to be backed up. If you got new servers of new applications, you don't have to worry about... just use corresponding feature (Clients) and options.

One thing I have in mind is that you can't mix both licensing inside a same domain.

Regards

Bernard

ChipApple
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

rbkguy,

One situation you might want to be aware of with Capacity-Based /FETB licensing is how to accurately estimate TBs. So far I am still looking for a good tool (whether Symantec or third-party) that can estimate the amount of TBs being backed up from a full backup for all clients covered by multiple NBU domains. Right now we are using a the basic client reports from the native NetBackup Console and dumping it into a .csv file. Which is good for one NBU domain but there is quite a bit of additional work to pull all the data from multiple master servers.

To my knowledge, there is no internal cost analysis tool from Symantec to provide this information but it would be a great request to Symantec (if it does not already exist).

Chip

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"...To my knowledge, there is no internal cost analysis tool from Symantec to provide this information but it would be a great request to Symantec (if it does not already exist)..."

Not sure what the various reporting options are like for such things as VBR/NOM OpsCentre/OpsCentre Anayltics, but it may be worth putting such requests forward as an idea?

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

As far as I know Symantec is working on tool to estimate TBs but I don't know when it will be available for public.

ChipApple
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

From going over the canned reports in this tool, it does not have the ability to do FETB estimating either. It would be great if it could, then the report could be emailed and trended over a period of time.