cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Administration Console and SSH port forwarding

stefanlasiewski
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

Our Netbackup 6.0 server is located in a remote datacenter. Remote access is restricted to SSH only. I use the Java-based NetBackup Console on my Windows XP workstation.

I am trying to set up SSH port forwardings (ssh tunnels) between my workstation and the remote Netbackup server. Xwindows is not installed on the remote server, so forwarding an X session is not possible. Plus, forwarding X will be too slow.

Does anyone else use SSH tunnels with NetBackup Console? Does anyone have a list of ports which must be forwarded?

So far, I forwarding the vnetd port (TCP port 13724) and I can access handful of functions on the remote server.

-= Stefan
5 REPLIES 5

Jim-m
Level 5
Hi

Ever thought about running a VNC server on the master server and funnelling vnc through ssh.
Good
- you have access to both CLI and GUI on the mstaer server.
- vnc & ssh tunnelling well documented
- don't have to worry about all the NBU ports and stuff
- free
- when working remotely vnc sessions remain hanging around even you have lost you connection i.e. lose you connection log back in -- the vnc session doen't know you have been away.  Helpful in long sessions that you want to keep open.
- able to share sessions with others that may be working remotely.

Bad
- more work another tool to update and learn (not that hard)
- vnc security  may not conform to corporate policy
- in your case you say X-traffic uses too much bandwidth (you say its slow).  This will be no better ....but is the slowness due to java?
- admins complain about the extra CPU resources it uses .....may be ten years ago...not today  

Message Edited by Jim-m on 12-10-2007 12:50 PM

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I think just 13722 & 13724 is what you need forwarded.   What OS is the master on?

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
What about remote desktop via ssh?

stefanlasiewski
Level 3
I should clarify. The remote host is a Unix (Solaris) machine.

I am trying to avoid installing packages (VNC, X) on the remote machine.

In theory, all access should be possible over an SSH tunnels.

I might need to change some of the host properties on the remote server.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
This is our solution to our secure enviornment ...

We VPN into our network and then remote desktop to a windows server who has the netbackup java console installed on it.  Then we admin netbackup via the remote desktop windows box.

I agree, X windows is impossible outside a LAN ... but remote desktop works fairly well for us.