Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup BMR Boot Server Spec

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
Dear All,

sorry for post the dump quetions again, i would like to find out is there any specific Hardware Spec for BMR Boot Server. i tried to search the information from symantec website, but it seems like the info are very limited. appreciate that someone can give me the link for the information about BMR.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolV
Level 5
If BMR client is supported on a platform, then the boot server too is supported.
The same relationship does not hold true between BMR Boot Server and BMR Master Server though.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolV
Level 5
Hi,

I dont think there are any specific detailed hardware specs for the BMR Boot Server other than the OS (and the corresponding hardware) architectures on which BMR is supported.
So the BMR Boot Server is currently supported on Solaris-SPARC, HP-UX PA-RISC, AIX, RHEL/SuSE x86 & x64, Windows x86 & x64 (in 6.5.4).
BMR Boot Server binaries are all 32 bit on Solaris,, PA-RISC, AIX, Linux & WIndows x86.

For most purposes your boot server should have:
1. Network access in case you plan to boot your BMR clients over network.
2. CD/DVD Writer in case you plan to make SRT ISOs and burn them on CD/DVD and boot your clients using the same.
3. In case of Solaris/AIX, about 10-12 GB of free space if you plan to make ISOs out of SRTs.
4. Decent processor/RAM since for network boot scenarios, your boot server will need to run a bunch of daemons (not very heavy duty though) like tftpd, rarpd, dhcpd etc.

Does this help you?

~Amol.

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
Dear Sir,

it help a lot. i understand that Boot server support on AIx, HP-UX, window and solaris sparc, but the version of the OS supported, any document i can refer?

Thanks

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Please check out this link
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278064.htm

AmolV
Level 5
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278064.htm

AmolV
Level 5
oh, someones already given it...

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
i check this doc before, but it only show BMR client and Server compatibility matrix. is that mean, if the Server or client for BMR support on that particular platfom, BMR boot server are able to support?

Thanks

AmolV
Level 5
If BMR client is supported on a platform, then the boot server too is supported.
The same relationship does not hold true between BMR Boot Server and BMR Master Server though.