cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Complete % showing less than 100, Exit Code 0

amolkop
Level 3

We are using netbackup 6.0MP5. Some of our weekly full backups are showing Jobstatus "DONE"  with % complete of 85% or 93%.

Can I rely on this or do I need to take some precautions.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The percentage is based on previous backups done for the client and is hardly ever accurate. I have not seen this issue with recent NBU versions (6.5, 7.x).

Compare amount of data backed up with actual data on client.

The best way to test your backups is by doing restores.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I logged a call at the time but unfortunately I have no physical records & can no longer access the details via MySupport for some reason....so cannot say what resolved it (probably another upgrade!)

Found it to be more of an annoyance than anything else, as Marianne says it's based on the previous backup so is seldom accurate, altho' it *should* show 100% complete when finished.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Agree with Marianne - and i believe NetBackup actually adds 10% or 20% to the previous backups size when calculating this.

All versions currently seem to change to 100% as soon as the backup finishes but you are way back on versions so it may just be a "feature"

You usually dont notice as backups do get bigger - in your case you backups are getting smaller so it may be worth checking that it has actually backed up enough data as there are lots of bugs in the early versions

Hope this helps

rookie11
   VIP   

compare data size and  file list from client server and backup n restore console in GUI 

watsons
Level 6

The more I use Netbackup, the less I rely on the % of the job, not even the "KBytes/sec" in the job detail...

There are many problems with that, and if you have a huge environment, the job manager would have a hard time keeping up with all these updates, with thousands of hundreds of jobs.

As some of you might know, even a status 0 (successful) today does not warrant a good backup. 

The best way to ensure backup is to restore it, ALWAYS!  Of course we don't have that much time to test all restore, that's why a periodic (restore) audit, across different platforms & agents, is a good practice.