cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup DR Setup

chrislogo
Level 5
I have a project to setup a DR site for my current netbackup environment at a different location , what are my best options , would OS level clustring work on WAN ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Alex Davies from Symantec has written an excellent White paper:
http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

schmaustech
Level 5
I find this scenario works the best since it is one I have used in house:

Configuration: 

Production Site:
Master Server A
DataDomain A (with or without OST)

DR Site: 
Master Server B
DataDomain B (with or without OST)

Replication: 

At the production site, the master backs up the hosts to a DataDomain appliance which appears as a disk storage unit either mounted as NFS mount on the master or using the OST licensing (NFS is cheaper since it does not require a license).  The DataDomain appliance is configured to replicate the deduplicated data to the DataDomain at the DR site.  Now the data (ie the catalog images and backup data) are in both locations.  The replication is realtime over the WAN so whenever the catalog changes at the production site, it is updated at the DR.  Further since the data is deduplicated, you are sending less data over the WAN.

Recovery:

Now say the production site has a massive flood and everything is lost.  Now the DR plan comes into play.  At this point, you use the master at the DR site to do an import of the images on the DataDomain at the DR site to make the master at the DR site aware of what you have for backups from the production site.  Since everything is on disk either mounted to the DR master via NFS or using OST, it takes only a matter of a few hours to populate the catalog with the information that was replicated from your production site.  Once the import is done, you could begin doing restores or whatever your DR plan indicates.

Note:  At the DR site you could write a script that would run out of cron/task manager and prepopulate the DR master weekly by doing the imports for weekly time ranges.  This would reduce the amount of import time required during an actual DR recovery.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

zippy
Level 6
Ignite the server resore from catalog backup where the cat data was sent to a local drive then this data is sent to the DR site every day, resoration from a cat data on a drive is really fast, 60 GIG database 45 minutes compare to cat data drom a tape.

If you have an array the sysncs at the block level then I would do it different than above

schmaustech
Level 5
Zippy,

If they are running the master on a linux server, they could use DRBD to do block replication of the local disk over a WAN to a remote DR disk.  No array required :)

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Flappyhead
Level 4
Hi there

I have recently been doing some research into this and you cannot restored a catalog from anything but the primary image. Which is copy 1 of the catalog backup. The duplicated image (copy 2) cannot be restored from.

Unless you have NetBackup 7.0  :)

-Regards

Rich

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Alex Davies from Symantec has written an excellent White paper:
http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf