cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Netbackup] - Knowing processes state on the client while a backup is running

boupson
Level 3

We have a supervision tool that checks the presence of processes (Example: Oracle processes) on the client server.
When he doesn't find them, an alert is issued. We would like to setup an alert that takes into account two state.

The supervision tool doesn't find the processes and the backup is running ==> No alert issued
The supervision tool doesn't find the processes and the backup is not running ==> An alert issued

Could you please tell us which are the processes that are running on the client server when the backup is in process?

Thanks in advance for your answer

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you looking at Windows or Unix?

On a Windows Client as normal you have bpinetd, vnetd and bpcd processes running all of the time

During a backup bpfis will run for a while to create the snapshot and once complete bpbkar32 will run to perform the backup

Depending in the backup type and if you are using client side de-duplication the nbproxy process (dedupe) and dbbacked (sql backup) could also be running.

If you are looking at Unix let me know and i will get back to you with the processes that will use - but lots of variables dependant the type of backup  and how it is being performed

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please also let know which NBU version  - background services and processes have changed in recent versions.

boupson
Level 3

I'm looking at Unix (IBM AIX  5.3)

Thanks for your answers.

boupson
Level 3

The NBU version we are using is 6.5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

And the type of backup please (Oracle, Standard, etc).

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

On the client side in unix boxes you will not see the bpce or bpbkar process running until a backup is started, if your client is a Media Server just run bpps -x and you will see the processes you need to monitor and same deal for the master, also if the client is SAN Client you can do the same and catch the nbftclnt service. On windows is easy everything is a service so is an easy catch.

Regards.

boupson
Level 3

We perform different kind of backup: full and incremental.

We perform type of backup:  Oracle and standard backup

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Windows, Unix or a mixture?

boupson
Level 3

The master server is on unix

The clients servers are mainly unix

Some clients are windows

muhanad_daher
Level 6

hi

try to reinstall the agent with root user and create logs file and attached to check the it

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

What process do you want to check, NetBackup process or Oracle(and so) process?
Regarding your first post, I presume that you want to check oracle presense.

> We have a supervision tool that checks the presence of processes (Example: Oracle processes) on the client server.
> When he doesn't find them, an alert is issued. We would like to setup an alert that takes into account two state.

> The supervision tool doesn't find the processes and the backup is running ==> No alert issued
> The supervision tool doesn't find the processes and the backup is not running ==> An alert issued

If you want to check processes outside NetBackp world, it depends on each applications you want to check, and you should ask to experts of each application.
For Oracle, if oraclce does not running, backup of Oracle policy type will fail.

Or, if you want to check NetBacup client process( I mean bpbkar in Standard/MS-Windows policy type), I wonder why you need to check, and why you issue(or do not issue) with such condition.
Backup in running state without NetBackup Client process - it is an issue to alert, and you can immediately know it by backup failure.
Backup not in running state with NetBackup Client process - it may be issue, but client process can not be raised and can not be keep running in such situation.