cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Logging

Tim_Rainier
Level 4
I just upgraded to Netbackup 6. I'm running the master and media server on a linux box.

I'm incredibly discouraged at the fact that reporting still seems to be a joke in Netbackup. First, absolutely none of my netware clients send me emails when their backups/restores finish.

Second, the email reports I do get (unix, linux, windows) there is hardly any data in the messages.

Why don't netware job status messages get emailed to me (I have the "server sends email" option set on the host properties for the master server).

Why isn't there a way to configure the amount of detail in the backup reports that ARE successfully emailed to me? (I have messed around with global logging options which change the amount of details in the logs, but not the reports that are emailed).

I was told that the reporting subsystem was drastically improved in version 6. Am I missing something here?
5 REPLIES 5

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
In the admin console under host properties if you select the client properties then select the Universal Proterties Tab and select client sends email put your email address in there you will get an email everytime a job runs. There is not a lot of detail there. If you want detail you have to create your own scripts.

The "improved" reporting for 6 is NOM. The problem here is that many people have been having problems with NOM and it is basically BETA at this time. The documentation is also a sparse. I think in a generation or two NOM will be quite handy.

Tim_Rainier
Level 4
Interesting.

I'm curious how a netware client is going to send email if it doesn't have smtp? This is specifically why I chose for the server to send the message.

Tim_Rainier
Level 4
Changed to "Clients send email" and I got no reports this time. Hmm

Also, can anyone show me some examples of scripts they're using to send reports?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274059

Notification scripts and their usage
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268610
DOCUMENTATION: What are the different methods to email backup
exit statuses from a UNIX master in NetBackup?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
281151BUG REPORT: Various problems with email notifications after installing Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0.