cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Media Servers overrunning disc with logs - 50MBs a day

Tacfire
Level 3
I'm running NB Enterprise Server 7.0, and am experiencing some servers which are producing over 50MBs of Logs a day.  I am conducting a full backup everyday of just the System State on these select Servers, yet see consistently logging 50MBs a day.  I have the verbose logging to set to Zero.  Has anyone seen this, and why is it happening everyday?

Thanks,

Pat
4 REPLIES 4

Tacfire
Level 3
Just reviewed the Logs again everyone, and have to clarify it's 50MBs per log File, and over 26GBs of Logs per day..   I need to get this figured out, why is this server logging so much data.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This sounds like the unified logging that is creating the logs

See this post for relevant technotes:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/usropenvlogs-media-server-65

Issue the command

$ vxlogcfg -p 51216 -o Default -l

You will see these lines:
MaxLogFileSizeKB = 51200

The above forum post has all the commands you need to tame the logging.

Tacfire
Level 3
Thank you for the Quick response.  I applied the switch, but still see the Logs Spawing in the "NBSL" Directory, under \..Netbackup\Logs, and these logs are generating fast.  It's filling 50MBs in a less than a Minute.  What in the heck could this thing be logging?  The Server is not backing up anything at the time these logs are filling up. 

js88699
Level 5
Partner
I know on UNIX the unified logs usually go to /usr/openv/logs and the old style logs would go to /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.  If the log is going to the old location under netbackup, and it's the form log.<date> then just remove the log files and the directory and the logging should stop.  NBSL has to do with NOM, not sure you need to log that anyway.