cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Service Layer service timeout?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Netbackup 6.0 MP3 running on an HPDL385, Windows 2003 Server SP1

When making changes in the Management Console of the master server (listed above) occasionally you are prompted to restart affected daemons to activate the configuration changes that were made.
Every time I do this on this server the Netbackup Service Layer service timesout with the following Event:

Type: Error
ID: 7009
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the NetBackup Service Layer service to connect.

To get everything back to normal I have to reboot the server...ugh.

Has anyone seen this?
5 REPLIES 5

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I am not a Windows guy but on Solaris I have found that I cannot just restart daemons. I have to shut down netbackup. I sometimes have to shutdown pbx then restart pbx and then restart netbackup. I do not know how to do this in Windows, but you may want to try that to see if it can keep you from bouncing the box. You probably loosing communication with your robot and then the box is loosing it's marbles.

DavidParker
Level 6
Dennis makes a good point.

It's always good to bounce the Windows box when you get prompted to restart services.

I haven't tried it with Windows yet, but on Unix there is a 'netbackup' command in \netbackup\bin\goodies that you can use to stop/start NetBackup. You could try using that instead of just stop/starting the services.

zippy
Level 6
Joe,

Check out this link

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=60681&messageID=4422623#4422623

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Dennis-
Actually I've been restarting the services from the Activity Monitor using the Services tab. There isn't an entry for the PBX there...I have not looked in the Windows Services console to see if maybe restarting that service will fix this...I'll try it on Monday.

David-
I don't believe Dennis' post was suggesting that I bounce the Windows server everytime Netbackup asks that I restart the daemons. I won't have access to the server to look into restarting just the PBX until Monday, I'll repost.

James-
Thanks for the link..but I'm not sure it's pertinent to my situation..I'll have access to the box on Monday and will repost.

thanks all for responding.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Finally got back to this customer site and tested this....Dennis you were right, after stopping the Netbackup services from the console, a restart of the PBX is a successful workaround that keeps the Netbackup Service Layer from hanging up.