cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Upgrade 5.1 mp6 to New Hardware

cbruehl
Level 3
Greetings,

My company wants to upgrade our Netbackup 5.1 mp6 server to new Hardware.  Unfortunately, they will not go for starting with a fresh catalog (our current catalog is around 110 gb).  When restoring the catalog to the newer hardware from tape, we are only getting transfer rates around 1.5 MB/s and the restore is taking almost 36 hours to complete.  Have any of you ran into this issue or have any idea how to increase the restore speed?  We are using an HP ESL712e tape library with LT03 drives.

Thanks,
Casey
5 REPLIES 5

zippy
Level 6
it the masteris on a unix server you can
install netbackup and import or

what I allways do

install netbackup on thenew server and then
disconnect the old server from the lobrary and connect the new one
shut down the old server netbackup application
rcp the data to the new new one
add this to the /etc/inietd.conf or equiv
bpcd    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd bpcd
vnetd   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/openv/bin/vnetd vnetd
vopied  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/openv/bin/vopied vopied
bpjava-msvc     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpjava-msvc bpjava-msvc -transient
rcp the start stop scripts to the new server
rename the new server to the old servers name
reconfigure the device files on the new server.test config

your done

have coffee

you can also do this on windows.

cbruehl
Level 3
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that it is on Windows Server 2003 sp2.  How would this be done on a windows platform?

ctate
Level 4
I would approach this a couple of different ways. 

First, since 5.1 is being end of lifed this month I believe.   Then perhaps you can get them to allow you to install a new 6.0 environment with new catalog etc.  This is what I did.  I use my old 5.1 master for legacy restores only.  Sounds like you already have two servers anyway.  Do you have a robot or other media servers?  There are things to consider if you do that I am learning, but they are not showstoppers.

Second,  if the first option won't work then can you try restoring from disk instead of tape assuming you have the space available.  It should go much faster.  You could swing the storage where you have your catalog disk backup on over to the new server assuming it is not local drives (external array of SAN space) and do you catalog recovery from there.

Hope this helps.

cbruehl
Level 3
We do not have separate media servers, just the one master server.  We were planning on migrating to the new hardware with Netbackup 5.1 mp6 and them upgrading to 6.0 mp4 once we are certain that the hardware migration was successful.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
New date for end of standard support for NetBackup (Server and Enterprise Server) v5.x is March 2008:

Definition of support life cycle terms: