cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Volume Pools

bc1410
Level 5

Hello

We are working with Netbackup 8.1.1 in a Windows 2012R2 environment acting as Both Master and Media server.  We have a Scalar i500 robot with 6 LT06 drives 

So we are about to get like an additional 50 LT06 tapes but these tapes need to dedicated to a particular archival policy that we are planning on creating, along with a volume pool for this archival policy.   My question is how do we segregate these 50 new tapes so that our other policies dont use them.   Another words usually when we add new or expired media to the robot it goes into the SCRATCH POOL and then when various policies / jobs kick off they pull them in to their volume pool assoicated with that policy.  

Do I have to add a tape in one by one and then assign that tape to this new volume pool or is there some other funtionality where I can say these barcodes L601050 to L601000 belong to this Volume pool...   My other thing is that if we run out of tapes for this volume pool I dont want this archival policy to grab tapes from the scratch pool.  

Thanks in advance.

BC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create a Barcode Rule.

In the Inventory, Click on Advanced Options, then Barcode Rules tab. 
(See NBU Admin Guide I for more info)
You need to do this before inserting the new tapes in the robot.

You cannot exclude any pool from Scratch Pool.
This means that you will need to always keep an eye on media usage in the archive pool.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create a Barcode Rule.

In the Inventory, Click on Advanced Options, then Barcode Rules tab. 
(See NBU Admin Guide I for more info)
You need to do this before inserting the new tapes in the robot.

You cannot exclude any pool from Scratch Pool.
This means that you will need to always keep an eye on media usage in the archive pool.

Thanks so much Marianne for view my post and replying.   

I will look into the Barcode Rules option..  without refering to the Admin Guide - I take it this will assign these tapes into the new Archival Volume pool that im creating based on the Barecode rule...

That was my big concern with regard to having to keep an eye on the media usage..  I didnt know if there was a option or attribute that would send a message to the activity monitor saying that this job needs attention as there are no more media for this volume pool etc....  such as when I do a restore and if the tape isnt in the library if gives the message about a "Pending Action is Needed" ...   

Thanks again Marianne...