cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and Data Domain compression

Denzo
Level 3
Certified
I am using Netbackup and backing up to 7 Data Domains. Backups to 6 of the data domains have a compression of 13%, but the 7th one has a compression of only 8% and I'm running out of space. Any idea ( Possible causes )as to why I have only 8% compression?
7 REPLIES 7

reson8
Level 4
The Data Domain devices handle the compression, so if all your DD devices are configured exactly the same way, then one possiblity is that the data compression ratio is lower on data going to the suspected problematic device.

You might want to check if the Data Domain's device cpu utilization is not being over utilized, this I've seen cause throughput issues and as there is less CPU power to perform the compression in incoming datastreams.

It's best to contact the vendor if you think the devices is not functioning as it should or if there is a possiblity of faulty hardware.

schmaustech
Level 5
DataDomain compression is based on block level deduplication.  Depending on what your backing up to those devices, how often you back up the same systems and their rate of change, will effect your overall compression rate.

For example, if you have a group of systems whose data changes very little and you do fulls every week, you will get a higher deduplication rate compared to a group of systems whose data changes quite a bit in the same time period.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
Compressed SQL dumps or multi-plexed Oracle RMAN streams can bring your DD's to their knees.   You'll have to find out every type of data that you're trying to backup, and you may need to look into figuring out how to leverage SATA or Tape to offload the badly compressing data based on your needs. 

DD devices are a great way to backup data, but can be a terrible way to store it depending on what the data looks like.

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

Anyone can tell me more on Data Domain? My system is running on NBU 6.5, my manager wants to backup DD but I'm not famillar on that. Please let me know what hardware vendor device, what type of data to backup for DD, thanks.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

Staged environments where there is typically not a lot of change in the data.  Like someone said earlier, if you are backing up sql dump files that have been compressed, you will lose much of the DD's dedupe ability.  If you have a bunch of filesystems you are backing up however, and most data remains static, it is great.

DataDomain provides their own hardware.  They come out and service it if there are any problems, such as failed drives.  There are a number of different types of DataDomain systems you can purchase, depending on the size of your environment.  I would check out the white pages on DataDomain's website.  We were using 690's at my last place of employment, and they were great.

ebodykid
Level 4
we have a DD690g that we added to our environment 100 days ago.  We continue to add more systems to it as we go along, but are currently getting in the area of 22x - 25x rate doing a wide variety of different systems.  It takes some patience to keep adding machines slowly until you can determine how much you can safely hold on it, as it is a lot harder to free up space after the fact, than it is to add it!  The big thing with the DD, is that you want to set your media multiplexing to 1 for your jobs, as well as make sure that the data you back up doesnt have any sort of compression on it. 

our current layout is daily fulls of all systems that write to the DD, and we are doing 30 concurrent jobs to it at a time.  We are using a SLP to keep the data on the DD for 30 days, but we also replicate the data daily as well as for the month end jobs we write it out to tape with a 1 year retention.  This will cut the dedupe rate down a bit by not keeping it longer than 1 month, but it makes sure our most important (ie recent) data is on disk.  We backup 60 or so unix hosts, 10 or so windows hosts, 2 vmware hosts and in that we are sending oracle RMAN data as well as exchange store backups to the DD.  I was not a big fan of bringing it in here, but it seems to do a good job.  The backup speeds on an individual stream basis seem to be a little slower than going to an lto3/4, but the aggr speed of doing more jobs at a time more than offset that, and the restore times are much better...   

rjrumfelt
Level 6
If you find yourself in need of space all of a sudden, it can take hours for the DD to reclaim space that you have freed up by expiring images.