cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup beginner

fshguo
Level 3
Hello, I am a newbie for Netbackup but after reading the admin guide for windows, I am still not quite sure how the backup and restore works. It looks like it is completely different from Backup Exec that I familiar with.

I post some of my questions:
1) does it still require to inventory a tape in Netbackup? how does it perform in the steps ?
2) Can I use the Netbackup administrator console to do the restoration and how in steps?
3) where I can see the entire backup catogary of which,when, which server and what have been backup like in Backup Exec Restore?

Thanks for the patient,
Lucy.

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6

fshguo wrote:
Hello, I am a newbie for Netbackup but after reading the admin guide for windows, I am still not quite sure how the backup and restore works. It looks like it is completely different from Backup Exec that I familiar with.

I post some of my questions:
1) does it still require to inventory a tape in Netbackup? how does it perform in the steps ?
2) Can I use the Netbackup administrator console to do the restoration and how in steps?
3) where I can see the entire backup catogary of which,when, which server and what have been backup like in Backup Exec Restore?

Thanks for the patient,
Lucy.

1) inventory whenever new tapes are placed into the library.
--> Media and Device management
----> Media
Right click on Inventory Robot
2) restores from the master server are permissible
--> backup, Archive, and Restore
click on the finger to select source/destination clients and backup type
click on calendar to select image

3) Activity monitor displays past and present backups/resores/etc...

fshguo
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

One more basic question, I backed up a few servers and workstations for test, and realized that the System States have been backuped, but when go to "Restore, Backup and Archives" program, there is no indication shows that the Systems States can be restored as an option.

How to restore System States? Where the backup copy stores?

-Lucy.

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
The System State should be easily seen and selected from the Backup, Archive & Restore window if:

a) You can see other data has been backed up
b) The System State was included in the backup

Please make sure you specify All Local Files or the System State directives in your backup policy. Also, when checking to see what can be restored, make sure you're using the Policy Type of MS-Windows-NT when specifying the Netbackup Machines and Policy Type to search for images.