Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup catalog doubts

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Guys,

Hope you all are doing well.

1. I have confusion about the Netbackup catalog, Let's take example, My master server has crash and I have the catalog backup but don't have the DR file. I know we can recvoer the DR file with bpimport command. But how do we know the  media if don't have any thing, As we also have to mention media Id also when we run the bpimport command.And e.g we have  500 media's in the library, How do we know the media ID which was actually used to latest catalog backup. Kinldy suggest me on this.

2. My second doubts is also about to the recovery. Do we have any other way to recover in case my Master server OS has been corrupt and I need to bring it up again, As per my thinking,  we have to first install the OS on same drive with same windows patch and after that will install the Netbackup application and then will check if backup tape drives are visible at os level and then insert the catalog media and run the bprecover -wizard  command and then at last will mentiond Media Id and next next.

Do we have in any other option also for quick recovery in 7.5 apart from the above stps.

2. Can we define one tape drive  dedicateupd for any backpolicy in netbackup, Apart from the option, Media server with attach one drive and mention that medie a server to storage unit and same storage unit assign to backup policy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1>
A)Your design is not right in that case, you should have the DR file setup so it will always copy the details to the n/w location or send the mail to you.

B)If that is not tha case then you should have your catalog tapes labeled starting with "C".

C)The other option is catalog tape should be going to dedicated pool " CatalogBackup" or if you have specified something else.

2> Repair the OS, if it is totally corrupt and can't be rebooted then only you have to do those steps.
Also your NetBackup shouldn't be on the root parition(C drive). If that is the case you can reinstall the OS and you NetBackup will still work with some tweaks you have to do. Tell us what exactly you are trying ?

3> Provide more information, what exactly you are trying to achive.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6

1>
A)Your design is not right in that case, you should have the DR file setup so it will always copy the details to the n/w location or send the mail to you.

B)If that is not tha case then you should have your catalog tapes labeled starting with "C".

C)The other option is catalog tape should be going to dedicated pool " CatalogBackup" or if you have specified something else.

2> Repair the OS, if it is totally corrupt and can't be rebooted then only you have to do those steps.
Also your NetBackup shouldn't be on the root parition(C drive). If that is the case you can reinstall the OS and you NetBackup will still work with some tweaks you have to do. Tell us what exactly you are trying ?

3> Provide more information, what exactly you are trying to achive.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Sazz,

Thanks for your reply.

About the 2 question. I exactely wants to know the steps for that tweaks,  In case we don't have the Netbackup in C drive and we should't re-install the netbackup.

About the 3 question. I wanted to know, Do we have any option in Netbackup with that we can reserve one tape drive for any sepcific policy. 

sksujeet
Level 6

1> You can't restore anything unless you make the master up. Install the OS on the server again and NBU with patches on the same exact location where it was. At this point the registry entry will get created and NetBackup should be pointed to its database. Restart the NetBackup services and you should have your NBU up and running as it was before crash.

2> if you have the drives shared it is not possible just to dedicate 1 drive. Do the san zoning to show just one drive on one of the media server and create a STU for that drive. The hard part is that you will end up using that media server with one drive.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Sazz,

Thanks for your valuable Answer.

Do you have an idea about which enteries we need to change in the registery so that netbackup point to the database, 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Catalog Backup is all about preparation.
The actual backup is just one of the steps.

If you read up in NBU Admin Guide I, you will see that Symantec recommends that you save the DR-file on a network share AND configure email notification.
This email will contain the DR-file as well as step-by-step recovery instructions.

Catalog recovery steps are covered in the Disaster Recovery chapter of the Troubleshooting Guide.
Alternatives to OS install followed by recovery are covered in NetBackup High Availability Guide.
(Such as a standby master with OS and NBU installed, catalog replication, even clustered master server. See NBU clustered master server guide.

No idea what this means?

... which enteries we need to change in the registery so that netbackup point to the database....

Catalog location is added to the registry during installation and should not be changed.
To move catalog off the C-drive is covered in NBU Admin Guide I, in various TNs and forum posts as well as in the NBU High Availability Guide (in the Catalog Replication section).

NBU 7.5 Documentation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5138

PS:
Please - one topic per forum discussion...  Reserving a tape drive for specific policy should be in a separate forum post. 

sksujeet
Level 6

You don't need to do anything manual, make sure you put the exact same NBU with patches at the SAME exact location, it should automatica create all the registry entries while doing the NBU install.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Sazz,

So you mean to say, We have to re-intall the netbackup application even if it was installed in E drive ? 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will need to reinstall to re-add all the registry entries.

If only C-drive is lost and E:\ is fine, just rename E:\Veritas (e.g. Vertias-orig) folder for the re-install to prevent existing databases from being overwritten. Patch to same version as before.

After the re-install and patch, stop NBU and rename Veritas-orig folder back to Veritas. 
Start NBU.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
With regards to manually chaging the registry entries, I hate to say it but it is unsuppported and from previous attempts I have seen, usually ends in tears.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Thanks Marianne and sazz for help..