Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup license features

akram-mu
Level 2

Hello, i need help understanding the following netbackup license:

Product:       NetBackup Enterprise Server
  Feature:       Replication Director (Active)
  Feature:       SAN Client (Active)
  Feature:       PureDisk MS Exchange Agent (Active)
  Feature:       Enterprise Vault Agent (Active)
  Feature:       PureDisk MS SQL Server Agent (Active)
  Feature:       Flexible Disk Option (Active)
  Feature:       OpenStorage Disk Option (Active)
  Feature:       Virtual Tape Option (Active)
  Feature:       Bare Metal Restore (Active)
  Feature:       Encryption (Active)
  Feature:       Open File Backup (Active)
  Feature:       Remote Client Support (Active)
  Feature:       Robotic Library Sharing Support (Active)
  Feature:       Remote Media Server Support (Active)
  Feature:       Microsoft RSM Robotic Libraries (Active)
  Feature:       ADIC DAS/SDLC Robotic Libraries (Active)
  Feature:       IBM ATL Robotic Libraries (Active)
  Feature:       Fujitsu LMF Robotic Libraries (Active)
  Feature:       StorageTek ACS Robotic Libraries (Active)
  Feature:       Snapshot Client (Active)
  Feature:       MS SharePoint Agent (Active)
  Feature:       Inline Tape Copy (Active)
  Feature:       Vault (Active)
  Feature:       Library Based Tape Drives (Active)
  Feature:       DataStore (Active)
  Feature:       Encryption (Legacy DES 56-bit) (Active)
  Feature:       Encryption (Legacy DES 40-bit) (Active)
  Feature:       SAP extension (Active)
  Feature:       Sybase extension (Active)
  Feature:       Informix extension (Active)
  Feature:       Oracle extension (Active)
  Feature:       Lotus Notes extension (Active)
  Feature:       DB2 extension (Active)
  Feature:       MS SQL Server extension (Active)
  Feature:       MS Exchange extension (Active)
  Feature:       Shared Storage Option (Active)
  Feature:       NDMP (Active)
  Feature:       Additional clients (Active)
  Feature:       Base NetBackup (Active)

My questions are:
1. Does the Netbackup enterprise Server license provide support for unlimited clients (standard filesystem backup)?
2. In case of an application or a database, you can see that my license includes multiple databases extensions i.e MS SQL Server extension, Oracle extension,  MS Exchange extension ..etc. does that mean it supports all these? meaning , i can backup orcale, Ms exchange and MS SQL using the same license?
3. is the license installed on the master server? and if i want to use two additional media servers, do i need another two licenses (Netbackup Enterpirse license)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We cannot answer your questions by only looking at the features that are enabled. 

The answers depend on whether you have Capacity or host-based licenses.
Capacity enables ALL agents and options, rergardless of quantities.

You need to check the pdf license certificate received from Veritas and the detailed list on MyVeritas -> Licensing -> Entitlements.

My attempt to answer your questions:

1. Does the Netbackup enterprise Server license provide support for unlimited clients (standard filesystem backup)?
A. Unless you have Capacity License, the answer is NO.
You need 1 Standard Client License for each network client that is backed up.

2. In case of an application or a database, you can see that my license includes multiple databases extensions i.e MS SQL Server extension, Oracle extension,  MS Exchange extension ..etc. does that mean it supports all these? meaning , i can backup orcale, Ms exchange and MS SQL using the same license?
You need 1 Application and Database license for each database client.  
(Although the feature will enable and allow all DB agents, you legally need 1 license for each db client.)

3. is the license installed on the master server? and if i want to use two additional media servers, do i need another two licenses (Netbackup Enterpirse license)
A. Yes. Licenses are installed on the master server, except for media server. 
Each media server needs own Enterprise Server license.
Unless you have Capacity license where you will use the same license key on master and media servers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GeForce123
Level 5

1) Log into my.veritas.com and look at your entitlements under the Licensing tab. You should see if your license is a front end TB model or a client/agent model.

2) Yes, you are able to backup Oracle, MS-EXCHANGE and MS-SQL DB's

3) The license is registered with the master server, you can have multiple media servers with the same license.

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

There are different type of license features provided by Veritas for NBU as per customer requirement.

Some license are client based example, numbers of clients can use the feature to backup example: SAN Client

Some are depend on how many media server shared same tape drive /tape library. SSO (Shared Storage Option).

So the NBU Sales Person can give you complete document/information about current license installed.

Ans: Depend on tiers type of license. e.g capacity based, hardware based etc.

2. In case of an application or a database, you can see that my license includes multiple databases extensions i.e MS SQL Server extension, Oracle extension,  MS Exchange extension ..etc. does that mean it supports all these? meaning , i can backup orcale, Ms exchange and MS SQL using the same license?

Ans: Yes you can.

3. is the license installed on the master server? and if i want to use two additional media servers, do i need another two licenses (Netbackup Enterpirse license).

Ans: Do not required two additional licenses for media server but how many media server can
add under one master server environment is depend on type of license.

Refernce Article:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068277
https://vox.veritas.com/qsuop67736/attachments/qsuop67736/netbackup/87388/1/NetBackup7_PricingLicens...

For more information specific to your current installed license, please contact Veritas Support
They have department to handle licensing issue and query.

Thanks & Regards,

Tousif

Marianne
Level 6

We cannot answer your questions by only looking at the features that are enabled. 

The answers depend on whether you have Capacity or host-based licenses.
Capacity enables ALL agents and options, rergardless of quantities.

You need to check the pdf license certificate received from Veritas and the detailed list on MyVeritas -> Licensing -> Entitlements.

My attempt to answer your questions:

You need 1 Standard Client License for each network client that is backed up.

You need 1 Application and Database license for each database client.  
(Although the feature will enable and allow all DB agents, you legally need 1 license for each db client.)

A. Yes. Licenses are installed on the master server, except for media server. 
Each media server needs own Enterprise Server license.
Unless you have Capacity license where you will use the same license key on master and media servers.

Hey ,

Thank you very much you have been a great help. To make things clear, for the host-based licnesing system,  if i have one client whether its a database server (say oracle) or standard server and one master server, in that case i  need two licneses; one Netbackup enterprise server (for the master server) and one Application and Database/standard client (for the DB server/standard) license?

one last question.

if i have a Netbackup enterprise server license with oracle extension, can i use it to backup oracle server or does it have be an Application and Database pack license?

Marianne
Level 6

For each Oracle client, you need one Application and Database and one standard client license.

Do not confuse the features enabled on the master with the actual license key name/description.

There is no license key for oracle extension.
Application and Database license enable all database and application options (except SAP), but you still need 1 license for each db/app client.
This license key is OS and tier-based.

PLEASE discuss your license requirements with your local reseller.
They can assist you in obtaining an IBR (Install Base Report) from Veritas Customer Care that you can use to compare purchased quantities with actual used quantities.

ok get it.

thanks a lot