cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup of Hyper-V VMs

wardog25
Level 2

If I have Netbackup 6.5.4 running on a Hyper-V host and set to backup the entire host, is that going to give me any kind of restorable version of the VMs that are on that host?  Or do I need the agent for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you just back them up you MIGHT be able to restore, but i wouldn't bet on that. The HyperV method places the guest in backup mode using VSS (i think) which gives you a consistent copy to restore from. Think of it as you would a database, you dont just backup the database files, you have to place the database in backup mode (quiesce it) and then backup the files.

From a licensing point of view you'll need a Enterprise Client License to use this functionality. If the guest has any databases running in it, or drive mappings direct to a SAN lun, you'll need to use the standard client inside the guest (Standard Client License + DB/Application Pack).

If you wish to backup striaght to tape from the HyperV hosts, you'll need a Enterprise Server license.

Sounds like a lot but you only need these four licenses (if you want the whole bunch of features i described) to protect ALL guest servers. Example, you have 1 HyperV host with 20 guest hyperV servers of which four are running SQL, two are running Exchange. Still only need to have the 4 licenses (ENT CLT, STD CLT, DB/APP, ENT SERV). You'll notice that you basically just license the host, and unlock features you want to use once for ALL the guest.

The higher the number of guest, the more economical it gets

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Am I correct to say you're just backing up the host, containing all the child vmdk's using a Windows-NT-Server policy (sorry, dont know what the hyperV term is).

If so, you should rather use the HyperV integration to backup your hyperV children.

Details of how to configure can be found here.

http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318358

wardog25
Level 2

yes, that is what I'm doing.

So, theoretically, if I just backed up the way I am right now (without HyperV integration), would I be able to restore the hyperV VMs if they were backed up while they were running?  Or is that what I need the agent for?

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

If you just back them up you MIGHT be able to restore, but i wouldn't bet on that. The HyperV method places the guest in backup mode using VSS (i think) which gives you a consistent copy to restore from. Think of it as you would a database, you dont just backup the database files, you have to place the database in backup mode (quiesce it) and then backup the files.

From a licensing point of view you'll need a Enterprise Client License to use this functionality. If the guest has any databases running in it, or drive mappings direct to a SAN lun, you'll need to use the standard client inside the guest (Standard Client License + DB/Application Pack).

If you wish to backup striaght to tape from the HyperV hosts, you'll need a Enterprise Server license.

Sounds like a lot but you only need these four licenses (if you want the whole bunch of features i described) to protect ALL guest servers. Example, you have 1 HyperV host with 20 guest hyperV servers of which four are running SQL, two are running Exchange. Still only need to have the 4 licenses (ENT CLT, STD CLT, DB/APP, ENT SERV). You'll notice that you basically just license the host, and unlock features you want to use once for ALL the guest.

The higher the number of guest, the more economical it gets

Hope that makes sense.