cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup upgrade question

Bruno_Bossier
Level 3
Can I upgrade a Netbackup 4.5 media manager on Windows 2003 to a Netbackup 5.1 and make him a master server knowing that I need to start with a blank catalog ?

What is the best way to do this ?

Bruno
8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The only way I know is as follows:

1. remove NetBackup 4.5
2. install NetBackup 5.1 as master server.

New server have blank catalog and work as master server, if you install as master server.
If you want another hosts to become clients of new server, NetBackup client software on those host must be reinstalled.

Tommy_Wu
Level 3
You need to de-commission the NBU Media server first.
1. Move the Media server's DB to another NBU Media Server or Master.
2. From the Master Server, remove all the configuration related to that Media server includes tape drive config. and STU.
3. Restart the NBU services "Master". If this is a SAN Media server, you need to restart all the SAN media server's services.
3. Uninstall the NBU media server software.
4. Re-install the NBU as a NBU Master server.

Veritas Support Doc --How to decommission the NBU Media Server.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266720.htm

Bruno_Bossier
Level 3
This media server that I would like to transform to a master server will become the new master server for my Netbackup domain. The current master server will be decomissioned (old slow NT server).

Bruno

Tommy_Wu
Level 3
1. Move the Media server's DB to Master (Old NT4.0)
2. From the Master Server, remove all the configuration related to that Media server includes tape drive config. and STU.
3. Restart the NBU services "Master". If this is a SAN Media server, you need to restart all the SAN media server's services.
4. Create two catalog copies, one to tape and the second on to disk.
5. Shutdown the NT4.0 Master Server(Remove it from the network).
6. Uninstall NBU media server software.
7. Rename the hostname (same as the Old NT4.0 Hostname)
8. Reboot, Re-Join the Domain, reboot, and Install the NBU Master software.
9. From NBU consol, create a robot, tape drive, and invertory the library.
9. Use bprecover command to recover the NBU Catalog
10. Re-mapping all the tape drives.
11. Restart the services.

Tommy_Wu
Level 3
You need to disable STU for Win2k3.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842411

Bruno_Bossier
Level 3
Well, that is the problem. The hostname of the media manager who will become master can not change and thus stay different as the old current master. That is the reason why we need to start from a blank catalog.

Bruno

Tommy_Wu
Level 3
Any reason why you cann't change and keep the old hostname? There are some other ways to merge the Catalog DB to another Master Server or Recovered the catalog to a different hostname. It requires a lots of work. Veritas Consultant can help you if you want to move the DB to another hostname.

Bruno_Bossier
Level 3
Well, the new master server is actually already a production server.

Bruno