cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup with SharePoint 2010

essaathamneh
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I tried to backup Share point ( 4 Servers : Two application servers (Ms NLP) and two SQl servers (Clustered) back-end ),. after run the backup job and use virtual IP(172.16.0.70) of application servers we got error no 71, but when use any of front end IP (172.16.0.71 or 172.16.0.72) then I don’t have any error .

Can I backup sharepoint server with multi front-end (Ms NLP) by virtual IP if not how can do that ?

I have this scenario

172.16.0.71 - Front End

172.16.0.72 - Front End

---- Virtual IP is 172.16.0.170

172.16.0.73 - Back End - SQL

172.16.0.74 -Back End -SQL

--- Virtual IP is 172.16.0.75

best regard

essa athamneh  

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

Only add the client that is the front-end Web server and knows about the

SharePoint farm topology to the policy list.

Thought I read somewhere that it should be the SharePoint Central Administration server but I cannot find that text right now. 

watsons
Level 6

Is your 2 frontends configured as application cluster? Or are they just for load-balancing purpose?

If it's application cluster, your virtual IP should be used for the Sharepoint policy. You got error 71 because from the cluster perspective, it couldn't recognize/detect the Sharepoint components.

In the master server host properties, "Distributed Application Mapping" use:

<172.16.0.70's hostname>    <172.16.0.75's hostname>

If, however, they are just load-balancing, then you configure both frontends to be in your policy. and in the setting above use:

<172.16.0.71's hostname>    <172.16.0.75's hostname>
<172.16.0.72's hostname>    <172.16.0.75's hostname>

essaathamneh
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thanks for reply .

thanks for reply .

I have two front end sever and setup Microsoft load balancing only between them .

but when use solution you mentioned below then two frond-end server tack copy of selection list that men multiple backup tack it at the same time

that is true ?

"If, however, they are just load-balancing, then you configure both frontends to be in your policy. and in the setting above use:

<172.16.0.71's hostname> <172.16.0.75's hostname>
<172.16.0.72's hostname> <172.16.0.75's hostname>"

watsons
Level 6

I am sorry, for load-balancing frontends, you don't have to add all of them into the policy, My mistake.

Refer to this point in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75799

Do not add all SharePoint nodes to the Clients list, rather add one that can see the entire SharePoint topology. This is usually the web front-end server that hosts the SharePoint Central Administration, though not always.

But in the "Distributed Application Mapping" setting, all frontends shall be there and mapped to the same virtual SQL backend.

essaathamneh
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thanks but when front-end server which selected in policy down how to automatic transfer to another front-end server ?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

create dummy policy  add all client within sharepoint farm. Keep this Deactivated.

Presuming you have completed all the prerequisites  i.e. Valid MOSSADMIN credentials are supplied in host properties of Sharepoint client. Also MOSSADMIN must be Farm administrator. Netbackup client service must be running with this account.

BTW what version of MOSS and Service pack you have. and NBU version.

If NBU is on 7.1 and MOSS is 2010SP1.. then you need to upgrade NBU to 7.1.0.3 as   MOSS   2010 SP1 is not supported before 7.1.0.3

Refer compatibility for that too.