cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New master server platform

ja290
Level 3

My current master server is Tru64, which is going away. That leave me with the question of what platform to use for my new master server. We have a modest environment, about 80 clients of various platforms, 3 full media servers, about a dozen SAN media servers, running one 4-drive SDLT320 library and two 4-drive LTO3 libraries. Our choices are Linux and HP-UX. Are there any pros or cons to one platform vs. the other?

2 REPLIES 2

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

First thing is: you will need symantec help to do this, between unix boxes is not a big deal, but still there might be some issues that they can share with you, both OS's are good HP-UX or Linux, I will recommend Linux because in my opinion is more reliable and haves better support, also if your SA quit is easier to find a Linux admin than an HP-UX, about which one is better for Netbackup I will say will be exactly the same thing, just ensure your new box has enough I/O, good bus sizes, enough memory, because backups impact more the I/O of any box more than the CPU.

Second, do you plan to change your media servers? how much storage are you backing up and what is the backup window? what is the monthly grow of data? do you have any RTO and RPO?

Share this then we can see what path you can take.

Regards

ja290
Level 3

Thanks for the input. For the purposes of this exercise, there will be no changes to RTOs or RPOs (which is a story in itself, since we have very little input from the business on these requirements), nor most of the media servers. There is one Tru64 box who's sole purpose in life is to be a media server, and that will swap out along with the master server.  Total amount of data we're backing up is about 4.7tb, and we're getting it done with no issues (though, of course, faster is always better :)). Growth is steady but slow.