cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New media server installation problem. Version 6.5.1

Brett_Wells
Level 3

After installing I can not get my Media Manager Device Daemon to start, I've attached a screen shot.  Also my new media server's status reads Active for Disk instead of Active for Tape and Disk like my other Media servers.

If I leave it alone that status will chang to Active for Tape and Disk until I reopen the box to restart the daemon. 

The media server can see the robot and tape drives:

[root@slcdev1 netbackup]# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan -changer
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************

[root@slcdev1 netbackup]# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan -tape
*********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "-"
Passthru Name: "/dev/sg17"
Volume Header: ""
Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
Inquiry    : "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     73P5"
Vendor ID  : "IBM     "
Product ID : "ULTRIUM-TD3     "
Product Rev: "73P5"
Serial Number: "1210045778"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     1210045778"
Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 16
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-3
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x10000
------------------------------------------------------------

etc

Also when attempting to backup this host I'm getting the following error:

network connection broken (40)

Thanks in advance,

Brett

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brett_Wells
Level 3

I just got off the phone with Symatec support and they were able to resolve my problem. 

Turns out the pbx exchance wasn't running and since I hadn't restarted the machine because it was in use the pbx didn't have a change to restart with a system restart.

We started the PBX exhange with "./vxpbx_exchanged start" and restarted netbackup and then I was able to start backing up files.

I still have to find a time to reboot the server before I can check if it has access to the tape drives or not.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Brett_Wells
Level 3

Forgot to mention media server is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 x64

NBU Master is running 6.5.1 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 6)

Media server is running 6.5.1 (or trying to)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The media server appears to have one tape drive, and no library. (scan is onl sowing one drive).

Which server is the 'robot control host'., is it tis new media server, or one of your other servers.  If you are not sure, run tpconfig -d on a working media server, and you will see the robot at the bottom.

Next,

How many tape drives should there be on this media server ?

The scan command must show all the drives, and the library if this media server is the robot control host.

1) If this media server should only see one tape drive AND the roobot control host is a different server, then you need to configure this new drive in NetBackup.  To do this, run the device config wizard, and, when you select the media server, also select the robot control host

See TN  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125956

2)  If this server is also the robot control host AND /OR it should have more than one tape drive, then we see that scan is not showing the right output.

scan, although supplied by Symantec, does not actually run ANY NetBackup commands - it only send scsi commands to the devices found at the operating system level - so very very oftenm, when scan shows the wrong  output, it is due to an issue between the operating system and the drives (or library).

If 2) is true, first confirm how many drives the machine should see.  Next prove that all of them work at the os level, eg. mt -f <device> stat on each drive, and if the library is attached to this server, you can use mtx to test this.

Once this is all confirmed as working (mt /mtx commands) I would recommend running through the device config guide and following each step exactly in the section for Linux.

The trick with configurig devices is to start at the OS level, and only when you have proved for 100% that the OS is seeing AND TALKING to each device, can you even consider moving on.  Also, scan MUST be showing the correct devices, as there is no point in even thinking about configuring NBU unless this is right (the device wizard effectvely runs scan -all, so if scan sn't working, the device wizards will fail).

Regards,

Martin

Brett_Wells
Level 3

Sorry I cut off the output of the tape command because it was so long.  Here's the output of the tpconfig -d command:

[root@slcdev1 bin]# /opt/netbackup/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d
Id  DriveName           Type   Residence
      Drive Path                                                       Status
0   IBM.ULTRIUM-TD3.000  hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=3
                                                                       DISABLED
1   HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.000 hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=5
                                                                       DISABLED
2   HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.001 hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=6
                                                                       DISABLED
3   HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.002 hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=1
                                                                       DISABLED
4   HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003 hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=2
                                                                       DISABLED

Currently defined robotics are:
  TLD(0)     robot control host = slcbac1.sct.com

EMM Server = slcbac1.sct.com

I actually have 6 drives but one is down right now and needs to be replaced.  This server is connected to the robot along with my master server and one other windows based media server.

When I run through the wizard in the console it finds all the tape drives it should connected to this server.  I just, for some reason, can't get the management daemons to start.

When I attempt to backup this server I get the following output:

03/08/2012 18:00:08 - requesting resource DEV1_DSU13
03/08/2012 18:00:08 - requesting resource slcbac1.sct.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.slcdev1.sct.com
03/08/2012 18:00:08 - requesting resource slcbac1.sct.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.dev1_DSU13
03/08/2012 18:00:09 - granted resource  slcbac1.sct.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.slcdev1.sct.com
03/08/2012 18:00:09 - granted resource  slcbac1.sct.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.dev1_DSU13
03/08/2012 18:00:09 - granted resource  MediaID=@aaaaz;Path=/NBU_DSU13;MediaServer=slcdev1.sct.com
03/08/2012 18:00:09 - granted resource  DEV1_DSU13
03/08/2012 18:00:22 - estimated 0 kbytes needed
03/08/2012 18:00:22 - started process bpbrm (pid=13226)
03/08/2012 18:00:23 - connecting
03/08/2012 18:00:23 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00
network connection broken (40)

Sorry if my first post was confusing This is my first post on this forum.

Thanks,

Brett

Brett_Wells
Level 3

I'm not sure why all the statuses of the drives are "disabled". Without the media manager being able to be started I can't enable them either.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No problem Brett.

OK, create

mkdir /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/daemon
mkdir /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/ltid

Put 

VERBOSE

in /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf

Start ltid (or try) and see what is in the logs (I would clear out the logs to start with, makes it easier).

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

(It's getting late here in the UK, I will need to go soon as I ave to be in work tomorrow) - I'll check the post tomorrow.

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well it's a valid state ..

From manual :

-drstatus UP|DOWN|DISABLED

Sets the initial status of the tape drive to the UP, DOWN, or DISABLED state. Discovered drive paths are enabled (UP) by default. An administrator or operator can disable or configure the drive path up/down. The user can also perform this action with options in the Device Management window.

A drive status of DISABLED means NetBackup stores the path but never to use it. In addition, if subsequent discoveries of this drive path occur, NetBackup does not configure it for use.

Hmm, I just had a thought, no idea if valid, but you will understand y theory . ..

If there are no drives on a system, the daemons will not start (well, they will but they will stop again).

If the drives are DISABLED (all of them) this I would suggest is 'simiar' to there being no drives on the system.  Perhaps this stops the daemons from starting.  If  this is the case, it will be seen in the ltid log.

Just an idea ...  Try to UP the drive using vmoprcmd  ...

Otherwise, time to look in logs.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to put a 'spanner in the works' - RHEL 6 is only supported as from 6.5.6.

NetBackup 6.x Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,NOM,NDMP,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70729

Media server cannot be higher version than master, meaning that you will have to upgrade your entire environment. Rather upgrade to 7.1 as 6.x will be EOSL in October this year.

Master Compatibility List: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Device Name in scan shows "-"; this means this drive is not recongnized through st driver or device file for this drive was removed. Check if st driver is loaded by "lsmod", and also check if /dev/nst* exists.

As Marianne pointed, you have to update your master server and media server to 6.5.6 or later.

Brett_Wells
Level 3

Thanks for all the help.  At this point rather than upgrade the entire system (we are going to replace the whole thing in a couple of months anyway).  I would just like to get regular backups working on this machine.

Every time I attempt to do a simple backup on this machine I'm getting the error "network connection broken (40)".

If we could just solve that issue I would be a happy camper.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Try adding short and long (FQDN) names to the hosts files of Master and Media

Check that the Media Server is marked as activated in the devices - media servers section of the console

Make sure the media server is in the Master Servers host properties - Media Servers and Servers section

Check fire walls

Check all basic daemons are running on the Media Server

Re-run the device wizard and check that all drives appear and are enabled and in the right place as you work through the wizard

Hope this helps get it back on line

Brett_Wells
Level 3

I just got off the phone with Symatec support and they were able to resolve my problem. 

Turns out the pbx exchance wasn't running and since I hadn't restarted the machine because it was in use the pbx didn't have a change to restart with a system restart.

We started the PBX exhange with "./vxpbx_exchanged start" and restarted netbackup and then I was able to start backing up files.

I still have to find a time to reboot the server before I can check if it has access to the tape drives or not.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Good news - I was pretty close then with "check all basic daemons are running on the Media Server"

Glad you are sorted