cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to NBU! - a few questions!

Vox
Level 3
Hello!  I have been browsing around the forums most of the day, looking for answers, trying to get a grip on how things work. I have taken a look at all the docs that came with NBU.  I was basically handed the box of software and told "Here you go, make it work."  We already run BackupExec, but NBU looks totally different.  BackupExec was setup before I got here, so basically I have just been making sure all the jobs have been running successfully and doing normal upkeep. I have a few questions, and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

I have installed NBU6.0MP4, created the master server and also installed it on another server making it a media server.  I have installed client on all of our exchange servers. I have created one catalog backup and ran it successfully, and also the Netbackup install verify ran ok.  Most of my questions range around policy creation.
I have created policies for each server, but not of them seem to run automatically, I have to go in and start them, but they do run fine when I start them manually.  Is there something I am missing?  I create the policy, tell it which unit to go to have it set to Full >> Frequency = 1 Days >> then go to Start Window Tab (here is where it is a bit confusing)  Modify Day - Start Time - that is when I want to policy to start, right?  End Day / End Time is the latest time the policy can start with start time I specified, right?  Then Duration?  I am not clear on that.  So, if someone could spell it out a bit more. My job details me to run full backups everyday of exchange.  So, I was thinking of making Monday-Sunday folders on the server where the backups are going for each server.  I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.  Would I have to create a seperate policy for each day and create a new storage unit to make sure the backup goes to specified folder?  That is a lot of polices.  I am just trying to get an idea of the best way to go about!

Any tips and idea would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
10 REPLIES 10

Stumpr2
Level 6

Hello!  I have been browsing around the forums most of the day, looking for answers
...Good work. It makes it easier to help someone when I know that they are actually tring to learn instead of having someone else do their job Smiley Very Happy

I have installed NBU6.0MP4, created the master server and also installed it on another server making it a media server.  I have installed client on all of our exchange servers.
...So far, so good! but you should use the agent for exchange server backups and not the OS backups

they do run fine when I start them manually. 
...Please note that the freuency is effected by the running of a manual backup. So if your freuency is once a day then the manual backup has fullfilled that requirement.

Modify Day - Start Time - that is when I want to policy to start, right? 
...yes

End Day / End Time is the latest time the policy can start with start time I specified, right? 
...yes

Then Duration? 
...disregard this. It simply lets you know the difference from the start time to the end time. It gives the duration of the window. kinda useless to e.

My job details me to run full backups everyday of exchange. 
...makes sense. That is good strategy.

So, I was thinking of making Monday-Sunday folders on the server where the backups are going for each server. 
...This is where you start to lose me. This sounds like you are doing backups to a disk storage unit rather than to tape?

Vox
Level 3
Yes, I am using B2D.

If I make a policy, run it as a test...then delete...does it still know I already ran it and wont run it that day?  Friday I made one, ran it successfully manually during the day even though it was scheduled for later in the night. Hmmm I just answered my own question...regardless..I was off yesterday (Saturday) and came to work today....and nothing ran on Saturday....all I see in the jobs window are the tests runs I made on Friday.  (I am +4.5GMT, soooooo quite a head of the US in time).

Stumpr2
Level 6
What/how are you deleting? Backup images are suppose to be expired.

Vox
Level 3
Ooops, not the way it says to in the manual.  I see now...on how to force it to expire through catalog.  I have a new job scheduled for 1800 (30mins) that I have I didn't run on a test run, so I am hoping it runs between 1800-1810.
*crosses fingers*

Message Edited by Vox on 06-10-200706:10 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
ok

Vox
Level 3
This is driving me mad, still no luck.  I have no idea what the problem could be.

Vox
Level 3

I am looking into that as well, but the second doesn't seem to fit.  I have tried the first suggestion, shall see.

Vox
Level 3
Ok well the above referenced link to the post I made...must have fixed it...!

(this one)

I did a happy dance in the middle of the office when I saw the backups take off automatically.  :)

The file was located @ <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\db\jobs  and not <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpsched.d  for me.  I have MP4 installed...and I deleted the file...sooooo it didn't break anything else I hope.

Cheers!!!

Stumpr2
Level 6
glad to of been of help. I saw that the links pointed you to earlier posts of mine. Enjoy.

Vox
Level 3
Ok, well maybe I should have held off on dancing. 

Today I got all happy and configured all my backup policies for each of my exchange servers, made storage groups to point the backups where to go to.  I ran a test on all of the servers, all the backups completed successfully.  I also ran a NBU Catalog online / hotbackup and it ran ok.

I then wanted to test the restore function.  I restored the NBU Catalog - it completed without any issues.

However, I went and attempted to restore the exchange server information store and received the following:

restored image xxxxxxx_1181635859 - (tar did not find all the files to be restored(185)); restore time 00:00:22
error bpbrm(pid=4220) client restore EXIT STATUS 185; tar did not find all the files to be restored
end Restore; elapsed time: 00:00:29
the restore failed to recover the requested files(5)

--------

I have checked the permissions on the folders and also made sure that the NetBackup Service account has admin rights on the box.

I have checked the client machine properties and made sure they contain entries for the master server
I have looked up error status 185 and it states the following:

Explanation: There were files in the tar file list that were not in the image.

Recommended Action:

• If the problem is with a UNIX client:

a. Enable bpcd activity logging by creating the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd directory on the client.

b. Rerun the operation, check the resulting bpcd log file for the parameters passed to tar, and call customer support.

• If the problem is with a Microsoft Windows, NetWare, or Macintosh client: a. Create a bpcd activity log directory on the client (on a Macintosh NetBackup creates the log automatically).

b. Increase the debug or log level as explained in the activity log topics in Chapter 3, "Using the Logs and Reports."

c. On a Windows NT client, create a tar activity log directory.

d. Retry the operation.

e. Check the resulting activity logs for the parameters passed to tar and call customer support.

I don't see too much in the log for errors, the only two that I find repeating are:

ReadKeyfile: keyfile c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Netbackup\bin\keyfile.dat does not exist

and

ParseConfigEXA: Unknown configuration option on line 51: Rename IfExists = 0

I don't see anything about files passing through tar - or anything relating.

-----------

I went in and created a directory for the log file and also changed verbose logging to level 5 on the client - I assume this is the highest and will give the most output?

I looked on the client machine at the event logs and found the following:

tar32 (2656) Unexpected file system error 2 encountered while opening the restore environment file.

Source: ESE Backup / Category: Restore / Event ID: 950

I have went looking around for that event ID and haven't found all that much.

If anyone has had this problem or has any ideas, I would appreciate it much.  I have also tried on other exchange servers, and received same error.

Cheers!

Message Edited by Vox on 06-12-200703:50 AM