cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One client not backing up in policy group??

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I have a policy that has about 10 clients. All clients are running their differentials at the scheduled time setup in the policy EXCEPT for one client.

One client in the policy doesn't run its differential like all the other clients do. It does however run its Full as its suppose to just not the diff.

Has anybody heard of this happening before? Is there something on that client that might be excluding it from running the Diff like all the other clients in this particular policy?

FYI
(Diff/Differential = Incremental)
9 REPLIES 9

eric_lilleness
Level 4
So the diff never runs?

What happens if you try to run a diff on this client manually? Anything show-up in the Activity Monitor?

Thanks, Eric

eric_lilleness
Level 4
Got an idea.

Is there any reason for this client to respond more slowly than other clients? (different subnet, slower client, busy client) If so, it could be timing-out while scanning for changed files for the diff backup.

Look into CLIENT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT and CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT if you suspect this.

Be careful in increasing these timers as it can cause clients that never respond to eat-up your backup window.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Are you able to fire a manual diff backup on the client and could you create a separate test policy and check out on the Diff after a Full backup of the TEST policy.

Please do post the bpcd log and the bpbkar log files

ciao
Ankur Kumar

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I appreciate all your help. I think in this situation there were too many hands in the cookie jar.

The diff is running again daily (after having missed at least a few weeks.)

I'll follow up with the SA of the host and I'll find out and post how this issue was resolved.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
What version and MP level of NBU are you running?

There's a known problem with NBU 6.0 MP2 (and earlier) that can cause this very thing. It's fixed in MP3.

See this thread for more details:

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=21&threadID=62834

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
If you're upgrading you need to make sure you are using the new scheduler(pempersist). After the upgrade, downn the NBU services, rename pempersist and then restart the services - it will create a new one.

Cheers,

Tim

zippy
Level 6
Nathan,

Delete all configurations that pertain to this client and then make a new POLICY for this clinet and stick the client into the POLICY, configure the policy the way you wish and see if it still does it.

Get back to us on the out come.

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
Nathan,
Whats the status ?

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Sorry for the delayed response to this thread... I think it had something to do with the frequency setting of the backups.