Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opscenter/Netbackup questions

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi all,

I have a couple questions

1. Is there a way in opscenter and command line) to display what directories/file systems are being backed up by a specific server?
                For example say a client wants to know what directories are being backed up on their client server
                Example.  >>wagmeer.my.company.com

2. Does anyone have a link that shows how to do a restore using opscenter 7.6?  I have looked at opscenter seems like it’s fairly simple I just want  to see  an example or instructions and if there are any limitations.

3. Is there a procedure to do upgrade AIX/Linux/Solaris client upgrade? 
    The way I have been upgrading is just to remove the client and installing the new client. 
    We should be able to install over the “old” client correct? For example going from 7.1 to 7.6. When I upgrade a Windows client I have done it both  ways uninstalling the current client then installing the new client.  and installing the new client over the old client.

4. Is there a way to generate a report of all the servers backed up by for a certain client? For example I want to give a client a list of all the servers we  back up for him.

Thanks in advance for any  replies/comments/links

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1. OpsCenter does not collect individual files that were backed up, so getting a list could prove difficult. If using the command line, the client would use the bplist command (HOWTO43668). bplist shows only the files that you have read access to. Also the client must own or have read access to all directories in the file paths. You can list the files that were backed up or archived by another client only if the NetBackup administrator has validated you to do so.

2. There is a OpsCenter Operational Restore tech note (HOWTO73128) that talks about Restore Limitations.

3. This question should be in a different thread but, the process up upgrading the client is pretty straight forward. just run the installer, it will see the previous install and upgrade it. The the install path and steps consult sort.symantec.com/netbackup.

4. you should be able to generate that report in opscenter, follow the Step By Step How To CREATE Reports IN Ops Center. You should be able to select Clients and then select particular name of Client which you want to generate the report

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  1. Not sure about OpsCenter as I have very little experience. From cmd you can use bplist. e.g. bplist -C <client-name> -s <start-date> -e <end-date> -R 4 /  (adjust the -R parameter to specify directory depth - the default is 999 if I am not mistaken.)

2. See SymTerry's response

3. You can simply install on top of old installation. Solaris may require pkgrm first. Check the NetBackup Installation Guide .

4. See SymTerry's response

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1. OpsCenter does not collect individual files that were backed up, so getting a list could prove difficult. If using the command line, the client would use the bplist command (HOWTO43668). bplist shows only the files that you have read access to. Also the client must own or have read access to all directories in the file paths. You can list the files that were backed up or archived by another client only if the NetBackup administrator has validated you to do so.

2. There is a OpsCenter Operational Restore tech note (HOWTO73128) that talks about Restore Limitations.

3. This question should be in a different thread but, the process up upgrading the client is pretty straight forward. just run the installer, it will see the previous install and upgrade it. The the install path and steps consult sort.symantec.com/netbackup.

4. you should be able to generate that report in opscenter, follow the Step By Step How To CREATE Reports IN Ops Center. You should be able to select Clients and then select particular name of Client which you want to generate the report

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  1. Not sure about OpsCenter as I have very little experience. From cmd you can use bplist. e.g. bplist -C <client-name> -s <start-date> -e <end-date> -R 4 /  (adjust the -R parameter to specify directory depth - the default is 999 if I am not mistaken.)

2. See SymTerry's response

3. You can simply install on top of old installation. Solaris may require pkgrm first. Check the NetBackup Installation Guide .

4. See SymTerry's response

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

" Is there a way to generate a report of all the servers backed up by for a certain client? For example I want to give a client a list of all the servers we  back up for him. "

As per I know OPScenter required some extar license (other then free license) for some more anlysis (more indepth report) and other features...

Ar u using any such licese or the non-license version...

Rest are already answered by Marianne and SymTerry ...

Thanks

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thank You, SymTerry, Marianne and Mrinal for you responses. I appreciate it.

SymTerry, you are correct I should have placed the 3rd question in a different thread. (sorry

Marianne, thats good to know about simply installing on top of old installation.  I though that might have been the case but I wasn't 100% sure and I didn't want to take a chance on causing a issue with a installation.

Mrinal  I am fairly sure we have the non- free license, however I will have to double check. If by chance we don't have the License for that does that mean it's not possible to generate that type of report?

Again I thank you all for your responses.

Regards