cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU status: 2063, EMM status: Server is not licensed for Remote Client Option

pep-e
Level 4

Hi,

This error appears right at the start of a VMware backup attempt through a Backup Host/Media Server.

I'm facing this problem in a test environment. I applied the same licenses we have in our production environment, but it is not working now. The test infrastructure is not complex, I would say. IIRC, this is the first time I try to use this new Backup Host (also Media Server) to perform a Vmware backup. At this point the priority is to see it working. Second goal would be to get hotadd working instead of nbd  ;)

I read this, but I'm using 7.6.0.1 and I couldn't get a solution to my case:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58427
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/server-not-licensed-remote-client-option2063

There are probably a buch of details I could provide. Please, if you're so kind, ask me for whatever more info you need to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You also need to add licenses on your media server .. use nblicenceapp.exe on the media server and add in the licenses there then re-start the servcies

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

pep-e
Level 4

I refreshed things a little bit and I checked that, out of two BKP Hosts/Media Servers, one is working and the other one is not. I'd like not to close this discussino but to leave it "dormant" for now, since I'm trying to finish my test using the BKP Host/ Media Server that does work.

Best

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you checked 'bpminlicense' output on the server that is not working?

Also check output of this command on the master server:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

The number in MachineFlags in above output has the following meaning:

1 = SSO
2 = NDMP
4 = Remote Client
7 = All

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Do normal backups to this media server work?

I came across this once and it took some dogging to find it but it turned out to be a vm.conf issue on the media server - the companies build instructions wrongly listed it as needing the master servers name - caused all sorts of odd issues

tech note here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201869

pep-e
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

It's 0x14 for the BKPHost/Media that works, and 0x10 for the one that doesn't. I added all the licenses that we have in our production environment to the test Master server. My guess is that you only need to add those licenses in the Master server per NBU domain.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I continue reading.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You also need to add licenses on your media server .. use nblicenceapp.exe on the media server and add in the licenses there then re-start the servcies

pep-e
Level 4

Hi Mark,

Thanks for our reply. I'm afraid I cannot try backups through this BKPHost/Media because of this error.

As for the vm.conf file, there's only one "MM_SERVER_NAME = ..." line with the name of the BKPHost/Media on the right side. Ooops! Let me recheck this...

pep-e
Level 4

OK. It's the same sort of content for both the BKPHost/Media that is working and for the one that is not.

pep-e
Level 4

Thanks, Mark. Will do that, but It will take me a while. I'll get back the soonest possible.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It is just the main licenses for a media server - base NBU , SSO, Enterprise Disk and things like that - doesn't usually need them all but it won't do any harm to add them all anyway!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to have NetBackup Enterprise License on all media servers that will backup network clients.

If VMware backup host, add Enterprise Client as well.

If backing up to tape drives in a robot, Library based tape drive license is needed.
If drives are shared, SSO as well.

pep-e
Level 4

This was the solution. I got confused because I was seeing the licenses of the Master Server through the Administration Console, since my two BKPHosts/Media are listed as Additional Servers. Now, thanks to launching nblicenseapp.exe on the BKPHost/Media servers themselves, I saw that there were only a couple of licenses applied there. Now I hava a backup working. Great!

Thanks a lot for your help, Mark and Marianne.

pep-e
Level 4

Thanks, Marianne, what I did was take the list of licenses from a working Media server that is also a BKP host, and apply them all to this one. Perhaps a little bit too much, but I'm trying to save time.