cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RMAN backups in NetBackup

DPO
Level 6

We are planning to configure Oracle RMAN backups in NetBackups. The requirement is to configure full, incremental and archive log backups of various oracle databases. I know Default-Application-Backup schedule allows user directed backups.

1) What is the exact difference between Application backup schedule backup and Automatic full/differential backup. If I have to start server initiated backup daily at 10PM which schedule type I need to use?

2) For archive log backups, do I need to specify incremental or full backup ?

3) What is the exact difference between template and script. In what scenarios we use them ?

4) If I want to include multiple oracle servers in one policy say for example all full backups in one policy what changes  I need to make ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

> 1) What is the exact difference between Application backup schedule backup
> and Automatic full/differential backup. If I have to start server initiated backup

> daily at 10PM which schedule type I need to use?

You need both - Automatic full/cumu/diff backup schedule is used to kick RMAN commands through script or template, and after BACKUP command initiate backup request in RMAN, actual backup requests and operations are handled by Automatic Backup schedule.

> 2) For archive log backups, do I need to specify incremental or full backup ?

IF you want to backup archive logs only(without any database file at a time), you need to write specific backup script for archive logs, and need to create specific policy for it.
Depending on the implementation of you script, any type of schedule will work - only difference between full  and incrementals is a value of environment variables passed to your backup script.

• For fulls, NB_ORA_FULL is set to 1
  • For cumulatives, NB_ORA_CINC is set to 1
  • For differentials, NB_ORA_INCR is set to 1

In general, these variables are used to determine what type of RMAN BACKUP command should be initiated in backup script. For more deail, check sample script placed under /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.

> 3) What is the exact difference between template and script. In what scenarios we use them ?

Template: easy to configure, limited in configuration pattern

Script: For experts, you can use any RMAN command if possible

IF I remember right, you need to use script if you want to backup archive logs only. With template, You can not configure backups without database file backups.

> 4) If I want to include multiple oracle servers in one policy say for example
> all full backups in one policy what changes  I need to make ?

It might be possible preparing host-specific scripts for each servers, but it's hard to write and manage such scripts.
I recommend you not to use such configuration - DB configuration and backup requirement will vary between servers and instances.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

> 1) What is the exact difference between Application backup schedule backup
> and Automatic full/differential backup. If I have to start server initiated backup

> daily at 10PM which schedule type I need to use?

You need both - Automatic full/cumu/diff backup schedule is used to kick RMAN commands through script or template, and after BACKUP command initiate backup request in RMAN, actual backup requests and operations are handled by Automatic Backup schedule.

> 2) For archive log backups, do I need to specify incremental or full backup ?

IF you want to backup archive logs only(without any database file at a time), you need to write specific backup script for archive logs, and need to create specific policy for it.
Depending on the implementation of you script, any type of schedule will work - only difference between full  and incrementals is a value of environment variables passed to your backup script.

• For fulls, NB_ORA_FULL is set to 1
  • For cumulatives, NB_ORA_CINC is set to 1
  • For differentials, NB_ORA_INCR is set to 1

In general, these variables are used to determine what type of RMAN BACKUP command should be initiated in backup script. For more deail, check sample script placed under /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.

> 3) What is the exact difference between template and script. In what scenarios we use them ?

Template: easy to configure, limited in configuration pattern

Script: For experts, you can use any RMAN command if possible

IF I remember right, you need to use script if you want to backup archive logs only. With template, You can not configure backups without database file backups.

> 4) If I want to include multiple oracle servers in one policy say for example
> all full backups in one policy what changes  I need to make ?

It might be possible preparing host-specific scripts for each servers, but it's hard to write and manage such scripts.
I recommend you not to use such configuration - DB configuration and backup requirement will vary between servers and instances.

DPO
Level 6

Oracle team has specified the levels also in their script. Means they have different scripts for different levels of backup. In this case which backup schedule type i need to use ? Application or Automatic ?

create a 2nd application backup schedule and change the start time ?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
You must create at least one automatic schedule to initiate backup script/template in tartget client, and at least one Applicatin Backup schedule to handle backup requests rasised from Oracle instance throught sbt. Type of Automatic backup schedules has no effect if incremental level is hard-coded in your backup script. Check sole script how backup type and NB_ORA_* environments used.

sureshgangavara
Level 2
Certified

Can some share vedio's to configure Oracle and SQL backups.

Thank you