Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle status 6

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi there,

First of all I'm a real nooooob about oracle backups.

I'm trying to backup an oracle db, and i 'm getting Status 6

I 've checked the date and no more that 2 minutes of diference between servers.

I none even know witch log I should look for.

any help ??

9 REPLIES 9

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
RMAN script usually has log file with output. Please provide it for further investigation

You can also have a look into dbclient log for the exact reason

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Mouse, thanks for helping me.

I don't know where to find those logs.

Will_Restore
Level 6
located on the Oracle server, typically in same directory path as the RMAN script. 
Check with your DBA as Netbackup status 6 is just a catch-all indicating database backup failed.   Sometimes the ORA-nnnn error descriptions are vague too which makes it all the more fun.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I've noted. I've tried a lot today.

R U meaning the oracle template??

I'll send an e-mail to the Oracle girl here, I'll ask for the Rman.out

i 'll try to find something.

I've read some documentation about these error.  something about the TIME diference between the server ..

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I doubt if we can guess what happening with your system without any logs with only indicator "Error Code 6" which simply means that Oracle RMAN script failed.

You cannot simply start backing up Oracle DB by using GUI and next->next->next-> wizard clicking, you have to understand what's up with Oracle right now, for example does it runs in Archive Log mode or should you use the Recovery Catalog or you shouldn't.

RMAN script composition is usually DBA job and I don't know really what is included in your RMAN script as well.

Please give us more details listed above

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I'm getting more info about it..

I've read the Papper about netbackup and oracle.

The netbackup dude here is on vacation, there is 6 policy errors

I'm trying to gather these information.  w/ the Oracle DBA

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
oracle is running Archieve mode.

There is no RMAN.out

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Mouse is right, this status code 6 is related to the parent job only.  The Oracle backups work by having NetBackup call a script (.sh or .bat) or template file (.tpl), that script or template file will in turn call RMAN.  If the NetBackup Oracle agent has been installed and linked RMAN should in turn 'call-back' to the master server with a backup request.

For you it sounds like either we're not calling a script, or the script isn't calling RMAN, or RMAN isn't configured to work with NetBackup.

Do this:
Log onto the Oracle server and go to the netbackup/logs/ directory, there create three directories:
bpcd
dbclient
bphdb

Then try the backup again, let it fail, then start with the bpcd log, check to see that bphdb is being forked.

If so, check the bphdb log, see if it starts the script or template you've got referenced in your backup policy's backup selection list.

If it does start the script, check the dbclient log, if you get a log, that means we're talking to RMAN and we need to find the output from RMAN (we'd go look in the script to see where the output is being saved off, if a NetBackup sample script was used, then it usually logs to the same location as the script file.

If the dbclient log is blank, RMAN isn't configured to talk to NetBackup, libobk.so, or orasbt.dll isn't setup right.

Hope this helps.

-Sean

Ravindra_Rawal
Not applicable

if the RMAN Script has sufficient persmissions and you have sufficient rights to initiate the RMAN script itself from its original location at the database server, you may try to initiate the script at once which will result in initiating the RMAN hot backup in Netbackup if everything has been set properly that is

NB_ORA_Class = <policy name>
NB_ORA_SERV = <Netbackup Master server hostname>
NB_ORA_Client = <Hostname of the Database server configured with the backup policy (Vrtual hostname if the db is hosted in cluster) >

This will gernerate an output and the recovery manager log file in the '/*****/rman/log/' directory with *.out extention. and point you to the actual reson of failure under the following header...

======================================= 

ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
==================================

error code 6 is a general error which just alert us regarding the failure of the RMAN script and not the actuall reson of the failure.

some of the General reasons for the are rman script failure are.

1. NB_ORA_Class Specified wrong at the client end and in the RMAN Script
2. NB_ORA_SERV Specified wrong at the client end and in the RMAN Script
3. NB_ORA_Client Specified wrong at the client end and in the RMAN Script
4. not enough permissions to the RMAN script
5. Script location Specified wrong in the Netbackup policy
6. communication error between the Netbackup Master or Media server and the client host
7. The Netbackup Oracle agent is not installed or not at the same version as the Netbackup server, it should be on the same version / patch level.
8. Not enough channels provided in the RMAN Script, increasing the channel allocation may help reolving the failure.
9. account for the oracle user has locked, password has changed or the script is not attemting to su to oracle user prior.
10. Currupt data encounter during the RMAN database backup and need to take care of it by DBA prior to re-initiate the RMAN backup.

hope this will help.