cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle to Netbackup Copilot

bakra
Level 2

Hello,

I'm trying to implement Copilot for Oracle. I've set up the SLPs and registered the test instance, but NBU is unable to perform a backup with the error:

Unable to perform a manual backup with policy "test". The policy does not have a list of files to back up.

The setup: Oracle Linux 7.7, NBU 10.2, StoreOnce 5260 (4.3.6), Catalyst 4.4.0.

In short, I'm trying to implement NBU accelerator for faster backups. If there is another way, please refer to the guide.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, Accelerator works only with FS and VM backups.

If you need to speed up your Oracle backup, try to:

• increase the number of channels (4 is common, but many times I double it). (I had to use up to 18 Oracle channels.).
  • use Oracle buffers in a custom RMAN script
  • use weekly full and daily level 1 backups. And log backups of curse.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

StefanosM
Level 6

To my knowledge, Copilot is a future of netbackup MSDP deduplication pool (NBU appliances or BYO servers excluding access appliances). I'm not aware that you can use this future with OST devices.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/150074749-161361395-0/v158528978-161361395

StefanosM_0-1713272821201.png

StefanoSM,

Thank you for a quick reply. Is there a way to use the accelerator with StoreOnce Catalyst without copilot, or universal share? Basically, I want to use the accelerator to backup Oracle DBs to StoreOnce 5260 using NBU.

Thank you.

StefanosM
Level 6

No, Accelerator works only with FS and VM backups.

If you need to speed up your Oracle backup, try to:

• increase the number of channels (4 is common, but many times I double it). (I had to use up to 18 Oracle channels.).
  • use Oracle buffers in a custom RMAN script
  • use weekly full and daily level 1 backups. And log backups of curse.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey @StefanosM 

I am in disagreement with you about accelerator is only supported with FS and VM backups... It is also supported with Oracle - by leveraging Oracle Incremental Merge.

Please take a look here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/16226115-145568489-0/v79098947-145568489

In one of my domains this work working perfectly on 10.1.0.1 and once we did upgrade to 10.2.0.1 it stopped working.

@bakra maybe you want to purse this way of doing oracle backups - in my env it was flying... 

StefanosM
Level 6

I Agree with you.
you can use accelerator with oracle backups if you have netbackup appliances and configure appliance share as the destination 

but bakra does not have netbackup appliance. He is using a storeonce as backup destination

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Good to hear we are on the same page ;)

yup it slipped off my eyes that there is no MSDP - this is oracle incr merge is available with MSDP storage server...