cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PBX fails to start on NetBackup 7.5.0.3 system

phstacey
Level 3

We have just successfully installed NB 7.5.0.3 on 18 clients running HP-UX 11i. However despite following the same install procedure as before, the install on one particular client fails before it even gets to the NB portion....

x ./bp_servers, 33 bytes, 1 tape blocks

x ./bp_client_name, 23 bytes, 1 tape blocks

Installing PBX...

Please wait while installation is in progress...

Installation completed Successfully

Installation log located here: /var/tmp/installpbx-521-121712160139.log

The pbx_exchange daemon is not currently running.  It

must be started before NetBackup installation can be continued.

Aborting ...

client_config_failed

When we try and start the PBX daemon by hand (/sbin/rc2.d/S450vxpbx_exchanged start) it simply exits with a return code of zero (ie. success) but there is no PBX daemon (/opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange) visible. I have looked in all the various log files but there is nothing to indicate why it fails to start the daemon. Can anyone help, thanks?

22 REPLIES 22

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Good work on the tusc - I'd certainly make the kernal settings the same.  No idea if it will fix, but sometimes  kernal (or other tuning settings) cause faults that you would never image they could cause.

So, certainly I'd try this next.

M

phstacey
Level 3

We've done a comparison of the kernel parameters and there's at least one other client with an identical set of parameters which had NB 7.5.0.3 successfully installed on it, so that might be another wild goose chase. We are currently thinking of applying a patch bundle which appears to be missing from this host but seems to be present everywhere else.

With the Christmas Holiday period rapidly approaching this may have to wait until the New Year tho'...

phstacey2
Level 3

Apologies to all for my absence... this was due to my extended Xmas Holiday followed by a rather long nasty bout of the flu...

Since the late December we have successfully installed NB 7.5.0.3 on a further 10 new HP-UX 11i hosts using the "push" method from a HP-UX 11i 7.5.0.3 Media Server hosts. However we have now seen the PBX issue as described above on a further two hosts. This morning I created a script so that I could create an "easy to compare" matrix of all the patches on each server to see if there was a shortfall somewhere. Rather than comparing the Test/Training hosts I have taken a sample of 10 Production hosts as they should in, theory at least, be more uniform when it comes to patching etc.

Although the majority of "recommended" patches for NB 7.5 are missing from the sample of 10 servers, only 3 servers have this PBX issue out of a wider 35 HPUX 11i 7.5.0.3 clients. Using the (attached) matrix I cannot easily indentify any bundle which appears to missing on the servers with the PBX issue in comparision to those which work. I am now going to have a look at the kernel settings on all these hosts using a similar methodology.