cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point in time restore (Oracle)

Ingram
Level 4
Hi,

Can anyone explain this? I'm having troubles understanding this :p  If I have a full database oracle backup last Friday and I want to restore the database today, what date and time should I set at the Restore and Recover pane (Backup Archive and Restore)?

Thank You.
11 REPLIES 11

dustin_yonak
Level 4
Employee

Hello Ingram,

In the Date box, select the part of the date that you want to change, and then enter a new date or click the arrow to display a calendar from which you can select a date.

In the Time box, select the part of the time that you want to change, and then enter a new time or click the arrows to select a new time.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310316.htm

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Couple of questions.

Are you running your Oracle in the ARCHIVE LOG mode?

Are you perfroming a backup of your archive logs?

Do you have Oracle Recovery Catalog?

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You should select the date you want the system restored to.  NetBackup will automatically know which backup images (fulls, inc.'s, etc.) it needs to restore the system to that date. 

The only time this will not work is if there were no backups done the day you would like the system restored to. For example if you run fulls on Weekends and Incrementals on Wednesdays, and it's Friday... Wednesday will be the most recent date you can select for restore. If you select a more recent date there will be no images available to restore for that client, in th BAR GUI.

Mouse
I'm sorry, but this link is about BackupExec.

We are talking about NBU in this thread, isn't it?

dustin_yonak
Level 4
Employee
You're correct, my link was for BE, my apologies.

Ingram
Level 4
@Android

Ok, what if I reset that database to it's more recent incarnation date? Is it possible that I can use the weekend full backup instead of Wednesday's Incremental?

@Mouse

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No (Can you explain the purpose of this ^^)

I'm currently running different test at the office.

Mouse
I start from the end.

Here are some Oracle manual about this feature http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmcatdb.htm#i1011365

If you don't know the limitations for the point-in-time recovery without Recovery Catalog, you really can get a lot of useful information here - http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmtspit.htm

Pay attention for explanation what you can and especially cannot do without Recovery Catalog.

Dan4
Level 5
Certified
Hi Ingram,

I would suggest you to select the full backup ( last friday when you took full backup of the database ) & include all the incrementals (if any) till date in Backup Archive and Restore . This will help you to get modified data till date. Should be working for you :)

Ingram
Level 4
Ok, anyway if I'm gonna drop a tablespace today what is the best practice? Should I run a backup before I delete a tablespace or can I proceed deleting the tablespace and choose the full backup for my restore? Right now I disabled the policy for full oracle database backup (the one with Default-Application-Backup).

And another question, does the Default-Application-Backup Schedules runs on incremental the next time it runs after it's full backup? Or do I have to make a separate schedule for incremental backups for my full oracle database policy?

Dan4
Level 5
Certified
Hi,

M not pretty sure of that but the best practise is to take a backup before deleting a tablespace. By the way  why you want to delete the tablespace ?
The second part of your query , might be someone else can answer better. :) Thanks

Ingram
Level 4
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm currently testing different recovery scenarios since last week before my implementation, the sys ad wanted to test if in case there was an accident like accidentaly deleting a tablespace, table and user and they want to know if they can restore those. Of course no one wanted to deleted those in production. :)