cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Deadlock condition with NBU 6 MP2 client (Windows 2003)

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Hey all,

The client is a windows 2003 STD server. Everything was backing up fine up until we deleted some 300GB of data from one of the drives (of the client). After this we have been experiencing two problems:
1) On the actual backup job we see VSP Snapshot errors. Snapshot disables itself and the backup continues but all OFO is disabled
2) At the very same time as the snapshot error on the master we see an application popup saying "Possible Deadlock Condition" appear on the client machine.

We know that this is not a problem with backing up data that is being written to as the error (although happenning at the same time every night) doesn't happen whilst backing up files that have been recently updated. In fact, last night's error occurred on a file that hasn't even been accessed for years.

From what I can tell a deadlock condtion occurs when two or more process threads try to use the same memory at the same time. With this in mind it's looking like a client issue. I have removed and reinstalled the client and am awaiting tonight's backup results with interest.

Does anyone have any idea/experience of this?

TIA

Mark P.
3 REPLIES 3

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Mark,

Did not find such error, but i would like to answer to the 1st problem.
Check whether this client has been added to master server host properties -> client attributes - - > windows open file option, here you have two options

Incase of snap shot error - Abort backup on error and disable snapshot and continue.

You have selected disable snapshot and continue then you will see the issue which you have mentioned (1st issue)

I am not aware of Possible Deadlock Condition.

Raghava.

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Raghava,

Thanks for the reply. When we initially encountered the problems snap shot settings were set to stop the job. However, as we need to continue the backups and a partial backup is better than no backup at all, we decided to enable the "continue anyway" option.

The reason I brought the VSP error up is because it always occurs at exactly the same time as the Deadlock Condtion on the affected client.

Thanks anyway,
Mark P.

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Mark,

What i understand is netbackup process tries to access a particular file to backup but that file might be used by another process that may caused memory error - it is just a guess :)

Did you check event log for any other information at the same time in the master and client.

You can try disabling VSP option once see if that works or you can try upgrading or downgrading the client version.

Raghava.