cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 6.0 and DHCP

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Hi,

We need to backup our DHCP scopes and I've found some info about this but need a few things cleared up and any advice would be welcome. This will mainly be on a Windows 2000 server. I know that system state backup should capture this (as well a s as a file system backup of appropriate files).
As I read it, the DHCP scopes are in an .mdb file (which is backed up to the 'Jet' directory subfolder) in system32\dhcp. I need to know:
- best practices for backing up DHCP (what files are required?)
- are there any issues with closed files and is there a way around it?

If there is any other useful things I should know, by all means include those.

Cheers,

Tim
13 REPLIES 13

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Tim,

The way we follow is just backup system32\dhcp this will have the complete information of dhcp and it can be used for recovery.

By the way this is a open file you got to use VSP to back it up.

I think this is the best way to backup DHCP.

Raghava.

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Raghava,

Thanks for your reply - it's sort of what I expected.
However, I'm wondering if it is necessary to backup the actual DHCP files as DHCP backs itself up to the 'jet' subfolder every hour by default. As this is a 'backup' file I wonder if this file would be open; therefore if this file is closed, would it be best to back the backed-up DHCP file - you may not have to use VSP.
Is VSP recommended for clients generally?

Cheers,

Tim

AKopel
Level 6
We disable VSP unless needed. For some Windows 2003 SP1 clients we use VSS.

You will ok just backing up the 'jet' subfolder.

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Aaron,

Why do you guys disable it? What are the downsides to using it (I imagine it uses extra resources and takes extra time)?
Surely on a file server, it might be best to use it, as quite often people may leave files open (especially pst files)
I'm going to have a look around to find some more info on this.

Cheers,

Tim

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Tim,

VSP has advantages and disadvantages equally, Yes enabling a VSP on a file server is useful as there may be numberof open files, but you need to have pleanty of free space to accomodate .VSP other wise the backup fails with 156 ... if you change the settings of VSP and provide more space ... then it is going to occupy all the available free space .. server will run out of space.

Secondly if you have a antivirus running on the client then it will be a major problem!! So it is recommended to disable VSP if it is not really needed.

Thanks,
Raghava.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
I'm in total agreeance with the last comment. If you do enable it, make sure not to allow it on the system partition or it will fill up the drive and bring the OS to a skreaching halt! :) Also, if you're running 2003 server, it's to your benefit to use the built-in snapshot provider VSS. No sense installing another product that dips into the file table if you don't need to!

I used to have a good post out there about this, but can't seem to find it right now...

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Thanks Raghava and Lance - this started being a question abvout DHCP then ended up being about VSP!
It seems I won't have to back the actual DHCP up (jet subfolder should do for this) but a few questions are raised for open file backups.
What do people do for Windows 2000 open file backups?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
I'll have to give this one to you Aaron as it sort of answered the orginal question but thanks to everyone's answers in this.

cheers,

Tim

Tim_Biller_2
Level 3
Tim,

VSP = Very Slow Performance. ;)

Avoid it like the plague, I don't even install it anymore on a client, it causes way too much hassle.

What kind of open files are you trying to backup?

(another) Tim

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Tim (makes me feel like I'm talking to myself a bit),

Although it's not recommended, our users tend to have their .pst files in their home directory, and it's pretty common for them to leave their computer on, applications (incl. Outlook) open. I imagine the odd document might get left open as well.
If it's possible to back up open files I'd certainly like to look at it as an option. How do you find VSS - I've heard mixed opinions of that as well.

Cheers,

Tim

AKopel
Level 6
If you have Server 2003 VSS works pretty well. Make sure to upgrade to SP1 though as I believe there were some memory leaks in VSS without SP1.

To use VSS with netbackup, you need to:
1) Open up the Master server host properties
2) Go to "Client Attributes"
3) Add the client you would like to use VSS with
4) Select the Windows Open File Backup tab
5) Check "Enable Windows Open File Backup"
6) Select "Use Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)"
7) Use Individual Drive snapshot.

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
I've been told to use VSS rather than VSP if possible. I've actually had other people say even that can cause issues but I suppose you've got to use one of these providers to backup open files unless there's antoher way.

Cheers,

tim

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
All this files are open by services we backuped with an cold Backup, sheduled by at-command on times at day, stop the special serices (like DHCP, CCM, SQLBASE..) copy the files to a Backup-dir, start the Services. The whole prozedure zun 5 seconds :)

Example

rem @echo off

rem SETTINGS

REM ----> General Settings
REM ----> Logfile Path

set batchver=2006-05-13 Ver.1.0
set batchname=database-backup.bat
set company=xxxxset author=TF / SL

set logpath="c:\backupDB"
set backupdir="c:\backupDB"

REM ----> Log File name
REM ----> Log File for batch

Set Log_name=database_db.log

echo ************************************************* >>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . >>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . starting Database Backup >>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Date: %Date%>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Time: %time%>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Batchname: %batchname%>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Batchversion: %batchver% >>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Company: %company%>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo . Author: %author%>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo .>>%logpath%%Log_name%
echo ************************************************* >>%logpath%%Log_name%

if not exist c:\backupDB GOTO makeone

GOTO dirOK

:makeone

mkdir c:\backupDB

echo c:\backupDB does not exist creating new directory >>%logpath%%Log_name%

goto runme

:dirOK

echo c:\backupDB found >>%logpath%%Log_name%

:runme

rem -----------------------------------------------------------
echo stopping database-services... >>%logpath%%Log_name%

net stop cqmghost
net stop cpqnimgt
net stop cqmgserv
net stop cqmgstor
net stop HP Performance Management Pack
net stop MSSQLSERVER

echo database-services stopped>>%logpath%%Log_name%

echo starting database-backup>>%logpath%%Log_name%

if exist c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200.mdf.db copy c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200.mdf.db c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200.old
if exist c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200_log.LDF copy c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200_log.LDF c:\backupDB\Insight_v50_0_9020200_log.LDF.old
if exist c:\backupDB\master.mdf copy c:\backupDB\master.mdf c:\backupDB\master.mdf.old
if exist c:\backupDB\mastlog.ldf copy c:\backupDB\mastlog.ldf c:\backupDB\mastlog.ldf.old
if exist c:\backupDB\model.mdf copy c:\backupDB\model.mdf c:\backupDB\model.mdf.old
if exist c:\backupDB\modellog.ldf copy c:\backupDB\modellog.ldf c:\backupDB\modellog.ldf.old
if exist c:\backupDB\model.mdf copy c:\backupDB\model.mdf c:\backupDB\model.mdf.old
if exist c:\backupDB\PMP_V3_0.mdf copy c:\backupDB\PMP_V3_0.mdf c:\backupDB\PMP_V3_0.mdf.old

xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\Insight_v50_0_9020200.mdf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\Insight_v50_0_9020200_log.LDF" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\model.mdf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\modellog.ldf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\PMP_V3_0.mdf" c:\backupDB\ < c:\scripts\y.txt

if exist c:\backupDB\PMP_V3_0.mdf goto endOK
goto noLUCK

:noLUCK

echo ERROR %Date% backup not succsesfull c:\backupDB\PMP_V3_0.mdf not found >>%logpath%%Log_name% goto end >>%logpath%%Log_name%

: endOK

echo %Date% backup succsesfull >>%logpath%%Log_name%

echo starting DATABASE-services... >>%logpath%%Log_name%

net start MSSQLSERVER
net start cqmgstor
net start cqmgserv
net start cpqnimgt
net start cqmghost
net start HP Performance Management Pack

echo Database-services started>>%logpath%%Log_name%