cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have 2 clients with same name for backups?

altmiket
Level 4

hey guys,

i have to archive about 400TB of data over NFS.  our archive backup/restore pipeline involves handing out the NetBackup java GUI to operators, having them use a specific media server to search for archived data to be restored.  because of this, i need to keep all data that these guys will search for, under one client name.

this has worked fairly well over time, it allows users to find what they need by doing one search, with one client, using the java gui.  however it requires all data that we archive, to be archived via one client (which also happens to be a media server).

as time goes on, it's becoming harder and harder to route all our data to be archived through this one server though.  in fact i now have to archive this 400T of data, which is going to take weeks, if not months, if i have to scoop it all up via this one client/media server.

so what i'm looking for, is a way to deploy multiple media servers, and have them archive data in parallel, but have that data land in the backup catalog under a single client name, which can be searched by the java backup and restore GUI, under that single host name.

are there any tricks inside NetBackup that would help with that?  i'm not aware of any.

the one thing i was thinking i might be able to do, would be to deploy a 2nd media server with a different network hostname, but set it's CLIENT NAME entry in bp.conf to match the 1st/main media server? 

if i did that, would NFS backups run on both of these media servers land sanely in the backup catalog under that single hostname, and be searchable/restorable via the single client name?

or i'm thinking that might be potentially a bad thing to do?

any ideas?

thanks as usual everyone!

1 REPLY 1

Ravi_Singh
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I think you can try multiple option and see which one works for you.

Netbackup manages backup information in 2 pieces, files file and the header file.

Header file contains all information about the backup policy, media server etc.

File format: <policy-name>_<10-digit-number>_<sched-type>

You don't need to touch the files file since it will be in bineries.

Backup both of the clients with their own names, then move thr files file and header files of client A to client B directory.

Modify the client A's header file and mention client B's name. Try to browse in the BAR GUI by client B and see if you find all data.

Regards-

Ravi Singh

r_singh@symantec.com